My Ob/Gyn doesn't know i am still smoking while pregnant. What to do ?

My Ob/Gyn doesn't know i am still smoking while pregnant. If I don't say anything, will he ever know or find out. I just don't feel I want to admit it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:11 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• If you spoke candidly with your physician it would be wise on several counts.
    1) He/She will be aware and looking for the possible complications. Pregnancy hormones (also in hormonal BC) + smoking can drastically increase your risk for blood clots. This could cause serious problems at delivery and your doctor NEEDS to know.
    2) He/She may be able to offer you some alternatives....like just cutting back. Many European women continue to smoke and drink alcohol in moderation with no ill effect. We in America just generally seem to be less good at moderation.
    3) He/She may be able to give you appropriately scary stats about the risks even in moderation to your child and that might get you to stop
    Stopping smoking is hard especially if it's not your idea. But I do not understand why, if you are knowingly bringing a child into this world, that you wouldn't do everything in your power to give them the best possible shot in life
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 7:20 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• he may not have said anything but he probably knows since you'll smell like smoke.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 7:12 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• it can cause birth defects.....why would u want that?
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 7:13 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• PLEASE QUIT! (If not for your health but for the health of your unborn child!)
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 7:15 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Why wouldn't you quit?

I have smoked for 1/2 of my life, but I quit for each of my pregnancies. *shakes head*
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 7:17 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Why not quit so you have nothing to hide?
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 7:12 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Smoking nearly doubles a woman's risk of having a low-birthweight baby. In 2004, 11.9 percent of babies born to smokers in the United States were of low birthweight (less than 5½ pounds), compared to 7.2 percent of babies of nonsmokers (1). Low birthweight can result from poor growth before birth, preterm delivery or a combination of both. Smoking has long been known to slow fetal growth. Smoking also increases the risk of preterm delivery (before 37 weeks of gestation) (5). Premature and low-birthweight babies face an increased risk of serious health problems during the newborn period, chronic lifelong disabilities (such as cerebral palsy, mental retardation and learning problems), and even death. The more a pregnant woman smokes, the greater her risk of having a low-birthweight baby.

mommyheymommy

Answer by mommyheymommy at 7:38 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Why would you not quit for the baby? It is just 40 weeks for the health of your child
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 9:07 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• If you tell your doc, they can help you quit!
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 7:12 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Don't worry about it. If you can not quit do your best to slow down.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 7:13 PM on Jul. 6, 2010