Have you had a C-section and then tried to deliver vaginally

I had and emergengy c-section when I delivered my daughter. Now, I am pregnant again and the doctor asked if I wanted to try and have a normal delivery. I still don't know what to do. What did you decide to do after you had a c-section?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:14 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I wanted to but couldn't for other reasons but my friend had a baby a couple months after I did and had a VBAC.

I say go for it.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 7:19 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I had a c-section with my son, and three years later had a vbac at home with a 10 and a half pound baby. If your dr thinks you can do it, go for it. There are less risks with a vbac than there are repeat sections, unless there is a major problem that would prevent you from giving birth vaginally. Trust your body, most the time it knows what it's doing. Make sure you stay mobile while in labor and move and turn the way your body wants to. You can do it!
    circle_of_life

Answer by circle_of_life at 7:20 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I am surprised you were given a choice. My sister also had an emergency c with her first and could not find a doctor who would let her delivery natural. Liability reasons. She really wanted to experience natural birth.
    Ibulili

Answer by Ibulili at 7:25 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My best friend had a VBAC......everything went fine for her :)
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 7:31 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• The reason they gave me a choice was because with my daughter I dilated 8 cm then stopped making any progress. That's why they think that I can still deliver natural. I wish I could also experience a natural birth. I am looking forward to the fast recovery.
    skymcr

Answer by skymcr at 7:32 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• wow i had a hard time finding a doctor that would do a vbac! I would say go for it. If you end up in c section it wouldnt really matter b/c you already know what to expect. I say it is just awesome your doctor even suggested this to you!!
    ARuss

Answer by ARuss at 7:43 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My mother was able to do that successfully. With my older sister, she had a c-section but extremely soon after she was born she got pregnant with me and gave birth the natural way. It's possible, but I bet it's scary. My mom told me that she was getting scared when she was pregnant with me because she feared her incision was split open. Obviously never happened.
    Rosxjun

Answer by Rosxjun at 7:52 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I had a c section in 1995 and vbac in 1999 , every thing was fine but she just wouldnt come out.. The dr used the suction cup and she was born with no problems... Now its 2010 I think its okay for you to try it,, look at all the medical science since I had my girls.. Most hospitals are now ready for anything......
    my4pinkroses

Answer by my4pinkroses at 8:14 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• spend some time at ican's website :)

http://www.ican-online.org/
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 8:52 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Most women "qualify" for a vaginal birth after a cesarean. It is usually the safer option and should be seriously considered.

If you want to learn more about it, check out the ICAN website, use a capable provider with excellent stats (just because a doctor offers doesn't mean they'll be truly supported & committed), choose an encouraging location to deliver, and be sure to have a lot of support, encouragement, help from those around you.

When are you due?
    What was the emergency for your cesarean?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:19 PM on Jul. 6, 2010