why is it so hard for my kids to keep their clothes picked up?

They each have their own dresser. They each have their own laundry basket. The baskets aren't hidden away, they are right out in the room either next to the dressers or by their beds.
But they are all incapable of getting their clothes in the baskets. I just walked by my 10yo and 4yo's room. The whole floor is covered in blankets (the 4yo's) and clothes everywhere.
Why is it so hard?
I never had a problem getting my clothes into a hamper. It's not rocket science.

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 7:17 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• Tell me about it. I have this converstation with my 10 year old DAILY. I even tell him before he gets into the shower..make sure your clothes are in with the dirty clothes...and where do I find his clothes? Right where he took them off at. I tell him again..DIRTY CLOTHES! PUT THEM WHERE THEY GO! I walk away...guess where dirty clothes still are? RIGHT WHERE I FREAKIN JUST SAW THEM! AHHHHHHHHHH!!! LOL
    Then my son has the nerve to ask.."Mom, why are you yelling at me, there just clothes"... I would love for someone to take a picture of my face in that moment,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 7:24 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• This is something that should go into a mystery book because I have the exact same problem with my 4,7, and 15 year old. The hamper and drawer is right there in reach, but they step right out of clothing and think I should pick up after them. Tell your kids the same thing I tell mine. "I'm not your maid, if I want a maid job, I'll go get one."
    ambr2006

Answer by ambr2006 at 7:21 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• well, when I figure out how to keep my own clothes picked up, I'll let you know! :)
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 7:21 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• LOL.......know how you feel. Friends of mine had their kids doing their own laundry by the age of 10 or so. I did not do that, but I did tell the kids that no clothes would be washed if dirty clothes were not in their hamper by washday. Night before washday the room usually was a mess and the next AM everything was in hamper!! It's what worked at our house. Good luck!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:23 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• The same reason mine do as well (along with my husband), because they know you ( & 1) will eventually pick it up, it sucks and sometimes I feel that is all I do when I am home pick up after them, it's frustrating. I am in a household with 4 boys and this includes my husband, if my daughter makes a mess at least she keeps it in her room, the boys distribute it evenly throughout the house!
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 7:29 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• lol......I have the same problem with my boys and my husband. I've tried everything I can think of to get them to stop doing this. If you figure a way to make it stop let me know :)
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 7:29 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• What I fantasize about doing with my SO's kids is just sitting them down and saying, "dirty clothes go in the hamper. clean clothes go in the dresser or closet. Anything else I find is mine." and then? bagging the clothes that I find lying around and removing them from the house.
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 7:30 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• May I add, I have 7 hampers in my house, one in each of their rooms (3, 1 in the laundry room, 1 in their bathroom, 2 in my room) and I am the only one that uses the freaking things!
    LuvmyFam6

Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 7:31 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Mine (6,5 & 2) get marbles in their jar that gives them the incentive. Once the marble jar is full they get to decide what they want for their "special treat" (within reason!)
    brothersmoore

Answer by brothersmoore at 7:41 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• i get a box then tell my son by the end of the week if he doesn't pick up his clothes, i will throw them in the trash.
    ymadaris2

Answer by ymadaris2 at 12:42 AM on Jul. 7, 2010