Am I getting screwed in pay? I do payroll for 230 employees plus accounts payable in CO. I make 14.39 an hour. I went into this thinking payroll pays pretty good but I guess not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:28 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

• It's better than a lot of jobs. keep your resume updated and handy and maybe you can get into human resources eventually.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 7:29 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Well if you think you are underpaid then you probably are. However, payroll is not the best department for pay rates. So if you want to make more money go into a more general human resources field or go into accounting. You'll make more money in either of those (and they are related to payroll!). Good luck!
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 7:30 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I think you are probably on the low end of the payscale, but just as a payroll rep, tops i'd say is 16$. I am an office manager and do EVERYTHING. Payroll, AP, AR, budgets, etc. I make $19 p/h. GL!
    allfiller

Answer by allfiller at 7:31 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Where do you work? sometimes depending on what company you work for, determines your pay.

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 7:33 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Before you accepted the job, you could have figured out your annual salary which would be $28,870--before taxes. I'm not sure what the cost of living is in Colorado, but I think that pay scale is fairly average for a STARTING wage. What other perks or "hidden" benefits do you get as part of your job--paid vacation and holidays? Health insurance plan? Promotions and pay increases in due time with good work history?

I'm certain that the majority of your bookkeeping will be electronic, so once your data sheets are created, entering and maintaining that data and being able to run reports as needed, regardless of the number of employees--should be routine.

If you don't know the answer to these questions, you should refer to your employee handbook or speak with your HR Director or Benefits Manager. Those are all things that need to be considered when accepting any job.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:35 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• It can depend on your title? Are you a payroll clerk? A payroll sr. Clerk? A payroll manager? A payroll supervisor? A payroll accountant? Title can mean a lot.
    If you are a payroll clerk. That money is a little less than average with the education of Bachelor's degree.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:35 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• What types of positions are you comparing yourself to? If you have an associates degree, and you are comparing yourself to a financial analyst with a masters degree, you are comparing apples and oranges (grapes and watermelon?).

You can start researching salaries here: http://www.salary.com/salary/index.asp

Answer by rkoloms at 3:17 PM on Jul. 7, 2010