Anyone have a venison recipe they would like to share?

tasches

Asked by tasches at 7:37 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Food & Drink

• We also eat most of our deer meat roast-style. I put it in the crock pot with either a packet of onion soup and some water, and even a little oil since it's so lean, OR I'll use fresh or dried onion, low-sodium beef boullion, black pepper, and a couple other spices - lower sodium than the onion soup! I'll let it cook til done, I don't add veggies, we'll have potatoes & veggies on the side later, and even shred & ?BBQ the meat. Once when we were camping I cut the meat into chunks, cooked it like above in my cast iron dutch oven over the fire, and added cut up potatoes, carrots, other stew veggies, then when it was almost done I added in some cream of celery soup to the juices and it was a creamy stew - the same thing could be done on the stove or in the crock pot. Deer jerky & deer sticks are also very popular, we bring the trimmings to the locker to be made into those. That's about it for deer for us though!
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 8:06 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I do mostly venison roasts in my slow cooker..
    I start at 8 am. Med roast in slow cooker filled 1/4 to 1/2 of water (all depends on the size of your cooker)
    set on low...
    1/2 cup of lemon juice, 2 beef bullion cubes, and spices... I use the following, but you can use whatever
    you wish... garlic, pepper, parsley (most to all of the herbs I use are fresh grown), thyme, onion powder...
    with a small to med size onion chopped and added to pot... 2 bay leafs...
    Let cook on low until your dinner hr... we eat at 6 pm at 3 pm I add washed baby carrots, and potatoes...
    and 1 hr before I will add fresh or frozen (no can to mushy) corn and green beans to the pot...
    It serves up almost as a stew... you can thicken the juices into a gravy with corn starch...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:45 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• you can cook most venison just like you would beef
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:56 PM on Jul. 6, 2010