What to do about a husband that swears around the kids?

I've asked over and over to stop, he says I know, sorry it's a habit. He says the F word and GOd **** alot.Even does it when were in public talking to people, so embarrasing. I dont know what to do anymore except keep saying how much it's innapropriate and our kids can catch on.My sons 9 and daughter is 2. No bashing, he is a great father just swears alot!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:38 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Relationships

• Make him go to a parent teacher conference and explain to the teacher why your kid swears. Hopefully they don't but ask him he's prepared to that and take responsibility if it happens.
    jamesonjustines

Answer by jamesonjustines at 7:40 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• i have the same problem also. have to keep reminding him not to swear. my 3yr old son must think im on something at this stage as there seem to be alot of "Ducks"(F***) in our house but he cant see them.LOL
    my husband gets worse when he is on the phone.
    shell394

Answer by shell394 at 7:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I had a student teacher who said 'I know" about every three seconds. It was very annoying. I told him that every time he said it I would flick him on the arm. By the end of seven weeks, he had stopped completely. It's worth a shot.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:41 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• He won't get it til he hears the kids say it. Or til the teacher let's u know he's saying it at school. Keep reminding him.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 7:42 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Well, guess ya could ignore it and just remind the kids that it is foul language.
    Or you can wash his mouth out with some soap,lol.
    Or you can make him put a buck in a jar every time he swears and you get to keep the money.

I honestly have a bad mouth sometimes too..its such a bad habit and I am ashamed,lol.
    :(
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 7:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My husband cusses a lot. And he's heard the kids say it. Still doesn't stop him.

They are just words. And YOU (well, society) are the ones giving them power. Kids like power words. ...And apparently so do our husbands.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 7:45 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• "Make him go to a parent teacher conference and explain to the teacher why your kid swears. Hopefully they don't but ask him he's prepared to that and take responsibility if it happens. "
    yeah!

how about a swear jar? - believe it or not I had to put one out at office I worked at- lots of teens and 20 somethings.

no one every put any money in it, but it did cut down on the swearing.

would you believe they actually tried to complain to the boss that I put a swear jar out?
    like they wanted to go defend their right to swear!

ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 7:46 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I curse like a sailor and my SO is always getting on me about it. Its a tuff habit to break. I taught my DD that there are 'adult words' that she cannot say. My DD won't even say dumb, let alone f*ck. She understands that they are adult words that children are not allowed to use. I also continue to try my best to tone it down in public.
    allfiller

Answer by allfiller at 7:46 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I don't swear much, but did have a bad habit of saying shut up-
    then I got put into time out in front of the little one!

have you tried that?
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 7:47 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• then I got put into time out in front of the little one!

have you tried that?

Funny!!!!!
    lovmyhubby

Answer by lovmyhubby at 7:49 PM on Jul. 6, 2010