Any thoughts on the "Your Baby Can Read" product?

Just curious.

firenicecream

Asked by firenicecream at 7:52 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Call me crazy, but why does a baby need to read?

Answer by rkoloms at 3:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Its shape memorization. similar concept to "whole word reading" that has been used in the past. It does not teach phonetics, so when the child has to learn to sound out larger words later, it becomes problematic that they do not think in phonetics mode. I personally would not use it with my child even if it was given to me.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 8:04 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I won't buy it. I think that there are more natural ways to help a child become a reader. My daughter is going to be 3 in October, and she can already recognize many words that she sees regularly in her environment, Dunkin Donuts, her nickname GiGi, and some others, so I don't think that it is a product that is good for our children anyway. My daughter has a HUGE vocabulary, enjoys looking at books and making up stories to them, etc. That is because we talk with her a lot and read to her and point out words in her environment when ever we can. Get your kids the leapfrog letter factory/word factory DVDs.. that is the favorite of my daughters preschool teacher. The children LOVE them! And the children know so much by the time they go to kindergarten that the teachers in the area always ask where they went to preschool!
    TeresaAnne

Answer by TeresaAnne at 8:07 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• It's not for everybody. I bought it a couple months ago and it's a hit or miss for my son. sometimes he'll pay attention and other times he will have his attention towards something else. He loves the songs for the most part and he is able to learn a few things out of it though. It's alright.
    Rosxjun

Answer by Rosxjun at 7:56 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• children will learn better by reading to them and working with them one on one. also the programs results are showing based on a child being parked in front of the tube ALL day practically regardless of what they say (which is also not good for them physically, emotionally or socially)... also they are only learning by repetition and recognition - they are not actually learning to read. I would not use it with my children and I know MANY childcare providers and teachers that HATE it!!!!!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 8:48 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I've heard lots of bad things about it.

But i haven't looked into it myself.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 7:53 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I bought it on ebay for 50 bucks. I don't think it works miracles like they claim but I'd spend that much on 5 other kids shows anyways. They are educational and they really hold my sons attention. That's saying a lot, he's 15 months!! He does recognize some of the words already. He also repeats the words and motions so I think he is learning something even if not necessarily to read.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 7:58 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I wouldn't take it so dang seriously. My son watches it once in a while. Certainly not 3 times a day as they suggest.
    jenae_gist

Answer by jenae_gist at 8:04 AM on Jul. 7, 2010