do you think that tlc is just a modern day version of a freak show?

seriously, all of their shows are either about people with an army of kids, or 'little people'. and discovery health channel has some shows that i would put into that category too (like conjoined twins, people with deformities, etc.). do you think that it's just a modern freak show or do you think that somehow these shows are about more than just gawking at people who are different?

princessbeth79

Asked by princessbeth79 at 8:02 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Entertainment

• Our home is TLC free. The Learning channel, what a misnomer. Exploitation channel is more accurate.I wish that station would go belly-up.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Yea, I see what you mean. I do like shows about oddities and rare diseases. I don't see a problem with shedding light on those less than "normal" to society. But the sitcom type shows, I just change the channel, no interest to me. That's what the other 999 channels are for. It seems National Geo. is the only channel staying true to it's purpose: exploring worlds beyong our own.
    aluvk4evr

Answer by aluvk4evr at 8:12 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Also, it seems like the History Channel is trying to give way to reality and sitcom TV. I know channels need to keep their ratings up in order to continue existing, so they try to broaden their audience. But they risk losing the audience they created the channel for. And Animal Planet with all of their ASPCA police drama, HUGE YAWN and SIGH!
    aluvk4evr

Answer by aluvk4evr at 8:17 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Sadly, I agree. But these stations are just giving the American people what they want, which unfortunately is garbage TV. I can't stand it. I am so disappointed with all of Animal Planet's new "reality" shows, like Pit Boss. I really enjoyed the educational aspects of certain stations, and now I don't even have that to watch with my kids.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:54 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I started watching the TLC channel when I was in college. In the afternoon between classes there was "A Dating Story" and "A Makeover (plastic surgery) Story". It was trashy even back in 2002. I mean, that's what we watched besides "Springer". Mindless drivel.
    LauraMi261

Answer by LauraMi261 at 9:26 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Not a fan of TLC.
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 10:15 AM on Jul. 7, 2010