I'm a first time mom and am being induced July 8th is there anything I should worry about???

jades_mom2010

Asked by jades_mom2010 at 8:05 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• sure you want to be induced? I've heard that it makes labor worse-
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 8:06 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• if its ur first time, u may be in labor for a while. i was induced my 1st time around an was in labor for 12 hrs. i couldnt eat ne thing but ice chips..but i hope urs go faster than mine..everyones experiece is different. GL
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 8:08 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• yes, the pitocin does make the contractions harder and more painful (that is not my perception..... it is an actual fact lol). there is a high percentage of failure for inductions. that's about it i guess
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:09 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Oh my gosh, now you are going to get lots of horror stories. Just get plenty of rest, you will be fine. I was induced and its intensity is different with each person. They start you out gradually and then it gets more and more frequent. Of course it isn't pleasant, but just like with labor without being induced, the labor stops when the baby is ready to be born. Hang in there, they can give you an epidural when you need it or want it as with regular labor.

Don't ask anyone on here what you need to worry about unless you want to really hear the worst stories. Please just relax, do what your doctor tells you, get plenty of rest and get ready for that beautiful baby!! Good Luck!!
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 8:11 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• seems like I hear about inducing a lot - why is it done?
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 8:11 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I have no choice I have to be induced, babies head is still growing and body has stopped so the doctor said she'd rather him be out than in. I was given a shot to stop contractions at 33 wks cause I have a ton of water and my body didn't like that at all so I'm wondering about how well it will like the pitocin.
    jades_mom2010

Comment by jades_mom2010 (original poster) at 8:13 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• i was induced with my ds. Itsme89, it was because i was high risk and when i went in for an ultrasound they said he looked a little small and they were worried the placenta wasn't functioning anymore. i was at 38.5 weeks anyway, so it wasn't a big deal. things went fine for me. i was in labor a little over 5.5 hours. he is my second, i had an epidural with both of them (highly recommended) overall no complications or anything to worry about! :)
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 8:17 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Pitocin is a synthetic version of Oxytocin which your body makes naturally to bring about labor. It's SUPPOSED to make contractions harder. i've been induced and had a natural birth and there was zero difference in the pain. Since everyone handles pain differently see how you do with it. And read the literature about alll the risks involved to you and baby. They are rare, but can happen so it's best to be informed. But there's no point in worrying about it much. Especially if you trust the OB you've been seeing for the past few months. They should be prepared for anything that could happen. Good luck!!
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:32 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I was induced with my dd. It was not pleasant at all. I was given too much pitocin and had no breaks between contractions
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 8:54 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Have you been preparing (reading, doing yoga, relaxation practices, etc)?
    Do you have a doula?
    Do you have a Bishop's Score?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2010