is giving milk ok in this heat

we are in the middle of a horrible heat wave and I am wondering if it is ok to give my 22 month old son milk, or will it make him sick?

Amelora

Asked by Amelora at 8:15 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I usually just give my daughter milk in the morning and at dinner. That way, in the morning, it's not as hot and at dinner she's pretty much done for the day running around and all. During the day, I stay away from milk in general because she'll just take a few sips and i'll find it two hours later in a corner somewhere. I give her water normally, sometimes with some juice mixed in, like at snack time.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 3:16 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Three is really no reason why he can't have milk. I wouldn't give him milk if he has an upset tummy already. Assuming he's healthy there really is no reason to avoid milk. The only thing I would do, which I always do anyways, is watch the time. You'll want to be sure he finishes the milk in a reasonable amount of time, or take it away. Not because it's bad for him to have it, but because it can spoil in the heat if not consume in a reasonable amount of time.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 8:25 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Yes, milk is mostly water.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:38 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• If its formula just don't heat it. If it's whole milk yes I have given my kids milk in the heat. I am not a dr though I just know what I have done in the passed..
    seabrezze_11

Answer by seabrezze_11 at 8:17 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I think it's OK, as long as he's not sick to begin with. Make sure he gets plenty of water between meals, little kids dehydrate faster than we do. Or use popsicles if he won't drink.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 8:20 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• You can but you have to be careful since milk can go bad quickly in the heat even if it's in the refrigerator. I was told to limit the amount of milk but kids need the calcium so I've always allowed them to have what they want especially on cereal.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 8:25 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I try to offer it at breakfast and dinner. it's cooler out. DS doesnt really want it much when it's really hot out anyway.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:33 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Not a problem, but I wouldn't give it to him if he's going to be doing a lot of running around or going outside. If he gets overheated with a belly full of milk he could get sick, but not if you'll be inside chilling out.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 8:50 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I lay off the milk in this kind of heat. My daughter won't drink it anyway,lol. But I've been giving her cups of juice mixed with water and ice instead of giving her the milk (that she won't drink anyway,lol)
    My son too. He can have milk if he wants it but I've been pushing water more than anything. I always think milk is going to curdle in thier stomach in this heat.
    If its formula, you have to give that though.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:51 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I would stick with water and fruit (frozen grapes and blueberries are wonderful treats!)

Answer by rkoloms at 3:11 PM on Jul. 7, 2010