Why does beauty fade as you age?

I know, I know, people are beautiful at every age - but now that everyone in my circle is 50 and older, we just don't look the same!

tasches

Asked by tasches at 8:20 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Because society is a bitch and tells us we're less attractive.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 8:22 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I don't think it fades, it just looks different.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:21 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• bc you get wrinkles and liver spots lol. everything gets saggy.... grey hairs..... you get the picture. i am 30 and me and my friends say the same thing about ourselves
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:21 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• thats not always true..some women i think look better with age. look at halle berry, vanna white, angelina jolie
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:23 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Because oxygen is extremely erosive.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:24 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I don't think that beauty fades, it just changes. Faces and bodies change after having babies, doing hard work, mourning losses, laughing, crying.... My husband tells me I am more beautiful now than the day we met.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:26 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I actually think women become more attractive with age. My husband still tells me he thinks I am pretty, and I just turned 64 last week.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:37 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I think age is beautiful! I have always had a heart for my elders. I think there is too much focus on the negative things about aging. Sure there are illnesses, weakness and disease and other negatives. The elderly have wisdom that is valuable. I love listening to what they have to say. I think that age has become so taboo for the physical reasons, that many people in the world have stopped caring about the elderly, have stopped thinking of them as valuable and beautiful.

Age happens to all of us, it is the great equalizer...those who think they will live forever suddenly realize their days are numbered. Those who spent their whole lives fighting every sign of age suddenly can't do it anymore unless they are willing to look like a plastic zombie. Those who spent their whole lives depending on physical appearances run out of options. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 8:45 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I actually think we can get more attractive as we age. Attitude is everything. I love the beauty in Dr. Maya Angelous face. She turned 82 in April but there is a serene joy that surrounds her. It's all about attitude, being at peace with oneself...inner beauty shines through and counteracts physical deterioration. IMHO anyway.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:01 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• AMEN to what Laila-May said!!!
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 10:37 PM on Jul. 6, 2010