The BEST way to clean up broken glass??

My son just shattered a glass to smithereens all over our hardwood floor. What's the BEST method you've found for getting ALL the glass up in a situation like this? THANKS!! :o)

FelipesMom

Asked by FelipesMom at 8:32 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Home & Garden

• First sweep then go over the area with wide masking tape that is wrapped inside out around your hand.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 8:34 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Pick up the larger pieces and discard them. Then sweep the floor where it broke or use the vacuum is even better. If you still think there could be some small fragments, go over the area with a dampened paper towel to get the rest.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:34 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Sweep up everything as much as possible with a broom, then go over everything with a vacuum!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 8:33 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• sweep up as much as i can then wipe up floor with a wet rag or even better wet paper towels then wash or toss.
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 8:35 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I sweep and either mop or use a wet paper towel.
    kc932

Answer by kc932 at 9:51 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I have hardwood floors as well, and I can't even count the number of glasses smashed! I always do a thorough job of sweeping and then go over the area again with a vacuum. I am always amazed at how far the glass will spread (even around corners...how does it do that?)
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:34 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• If you have a swiffer I've found that after the initial sweeping the swiffer dry cloths pick up the fine stuff well.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:38 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I heard a trick to use bread to get the small fragments after you've swept and vacuumed. Haven't had the opportunity to try it yet, but thought it sounded like a really good idea.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 8:38 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Get up the large parts and vacuum the rest.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 8:38 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I sweep the floor then i swiffer the floor then vaccum then swiffer all over again. Okay a little OCD about my floors but i don't want my LO having a piece of glass in her foot or knees. So GL and i am sure as long as you sweep and vaccum you should get everything.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 8:40 PM on Jul. 6, 2010