Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my husband got stung by a yellow jacket and his eye is swollon why

Answer Question
 
twithrow

Asked by twithrow at 8:48 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Health

Level 1 (2 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • where was he stung? what part of his body?
    kjrn79

    Answer by kjrn79 at 8:51 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

  • What do you mean why? Did he get stung in the face? Where did he get stung at? When you get stung by a bee, wasp or yellow jacket, "venom" or poison goes from their stinger into your body. Your body is trying to dissipate it, or get rid of it. He could also be having an allergic reaction to it. If other parts of his body are swelling, if his tongue or mouth seems to be swelling, he needs to go to an emergency room right away.
    emilex

    Answer by emilex at 8:52 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

  • Have him take a benadryl liquid form works fastest>if its just his eye swollen and he has no other symptoms I wouldn't worry...but the benadryl will make the swelling go down.
    Cochise

    Answer by Cochise at 9:05 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

  • Might want to stay in touch with your family doc. I had anaphlactic reaction hours after a sting.
    karamille

    Answer by karamille at 9:05 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

  • I almost died from a bee sting myself...had to get allergy shots for five years. But this question in no way states he has any other problems at all but a swollen eye...don't anyone take this the wrong way...but why are people reading so much into this??
    Cochise

    Answer by Cochise at 9:07 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

  • For people who are allergic, a single sting may result in a serious reaction, or in some cases, death. Between 0.5 and 1.0 percent of the population may be allergic to yellowjacket venom. Yellow jackets are also sometimes responsible for infection ... a contaminated stinger can inject bacteria beneath the victim's skin, causing blood poisoning.

    musicmom08

    Answer by musicmom08 at 9:07 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

  • Did he get stung in the face? Benadryl is good, but if he feels worse, get him to a doctor. He might need steroids. This happened to my son years ago, and he required steroids to treat the allergic reaction. It also bought him an Epi-pen, although he's never had another reaction. The face seems to really swell when that region is stung.
    Sisteract

    Answer by Sisteract at 9:24 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

  • Because, Cochise, she didn't state ANYTHING relevant in this question. That makes it a little hard to give an accurate answer. And the way people are on this website, who knows what the deal is. If you almost died from a bee sting, you would know that face swelling is a sign of serious allergic reaction. Which needs medical attention.
    emilex

    Answer by emilex at 10:16 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

  • if his eye is swollen and he didn't get stung near it he needs medical attention ASAP!! If he was stung near where he is swollen then that would be the expected reaction... benadryl and an ice pack to control the pain and swelling. Next time, I'd advise that your please give more accurate info so that people can give you better answers vs having to guess and speculate!! good luck!

    Morgain

    Answer by Morgain at 11:20 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

  • sounds like he got poison by the bite. If it is still swelled then see a doctor...

    Judmr

    Answer by Judmr at 10:34 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN