How long is it before children can feel the need to go to the bathroom?

I am potty training an almost two year old and she does great on her potty when the family and I take her in there every hour or when we think she should need to go. But if we leave her to tell us, she wont. She will just pee on herself and tell us if she needs to poop.

Can she not feel the urge to pee or is she ignoring it? What did your kids do?

amber710

Asked by amber710 at 8:51 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Kids' Health

• My daughter is 21 months old and is just learning to potty train so I havent gotten to that stage yet. But for my 2 and 1/2 yr old neice when she starts to go pee or poop she will go stand behind a couch and just be still and not talk and then my sis would take her to her potty or the toilet. Good luck potty training. Also my sil just started potty training her 18 month old son and she said its good to take them to sit on the potty every 90 minutes. Kelly my daughter is my 1st kid so im new at this.
    bluerose26

Answer by bluerose26 at 9:00 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My daughter could tell me by the time she was 18months old, but it could be different for everyone. Even though she could tell me when she needed to go, she still wouldn't always go on the potty though. So it's possible yours knows, but like you said is ignoring it & just doesn't feel like making the effort to let you know
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 9:07 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My 2.5 yr daughter will tell me and she will just go. We are still working on #2 yet. She has to go in her diaper and then we get rid of it in the potty. She started potty training the day after father's day. She said she wanted underwear on and that was it. Your daughter will start telling you. Just keep telling her you have to tell mommy and still bring her to the potty. It sounds like she is doing well.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 9:18 PM on Jul. 6, 2010