is it normal?

..for toddlers to have cavities at their first dentist visit? our pedi recomends at age 3 to go, but almost every post i've read has had parent's whose kids have cavities. i'm not judging by any means, but i was just wondering..we brush our dd's teeth regularly, and i'm wondering that when we do take her to the dentist what the likelyhood is of her having cavities. she's 2 btw.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:53 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son is 19 years old and has had no cavities. Besides caring for the teeth properly, genetics has something to do with it. If you and your husband have "good" teeth, your LO should too.
    That being said, the standard in CT according to the Early Periodic Screening and Diagnosis Tracking system says kids should see a dentist by the time they turn 2. The Academy of Pediatric Dentists say by age 1.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:56 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• None of my kids have cavities. If you take care of their teeth and don't let them fall asleep with juice or milk, chances are they will be just fine. (Unless you had rotten teeth growing up, then they might have inherited that from you) :-)
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:56 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• It depends, part of it is genetics. I took both my children to the dentist when they turned four, neither of them have ever had a cavity. My husband is 30 and he has never had a cavity. However, when my mom took me to the dentist for the first time at age 5 I had 2 cavities. My mom was a hippie who made her own granola. I had never had pop or gum or pretty much anything my mom hadn't made from scratch. However, both my mom and dad have horrible sets of teeth! So, it's better just to go and get it checked out. Obviously if your children eat a bunch of sugary junk and don't brush that's not good.....but it's also genetics.
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 8:57 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Genetics can play a big role in early tooth problems.
    Also, If a child is givin a lot of sticky candy and thier teeth are not brushed soon after, that can cause a problem too. Like, starburst and skittles, gummies and such.
    Chocolate is okay though! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 8:58 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• One thing my dentist told me was that no matter how often your children get their teeth brushed they can get cavities if they are always drinking apple juice, gatorade, kool aid, any acidic/sugar filled drinks... The apple juice is the number one cause of cavities in small children... Hope this helps...
    believejohn316

Answer by believejohn316 at 9:00 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My oldest son had bad teeth...did every since he was quite young he had a different father then my other three children (his father passed away) of my three other children...one is 25 and never had a cavity one is 22 and never had a cavity and my youngest who is 10 had one small one. Hope she never gets another.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 9:02 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My 4 yr old would get cavities. My husband and I make sure our kids floss and brush good. It's genetics for him, he got it from me. Lol. Because my husband only got one cavity in his life and that was when he was a kid.
    monkeedork

Answer by monkeedork at 9:19 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My girls went at the age of 5 with no cavities...
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 7:55 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I agree about genetics both my parents have bad teeth and I have them too no amount of flossing, brushing helps my kids thankfully took after their father! You can check out her mouth and see what to expect.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 2:46 PM on Jul. 7, 2010