• In the Spotlight:

What to do about poor communication at work?

I love my job and what I do. I hate that my boss does not communicate with her employees. We were suppose to have this big important event this week. Nothing has been said about it so I finally had a chance to go up to her today and ask her about it. Turns out she cancelled it but didn't tell anyone! The event was after work hours and I had already re-arranged my schedule for this event. This is not the first time this has happened. Is there any suggestions that I could bring up at our next meeting that might give my boss a hint that there needs to be better communication?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

• Offer to be the employee communications person, and take the "burden" off of her shoulders. Schedule a weekly, standing meeting to make sure that you have all of the messages for the week.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:03 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Can you share calendars? I share calendars with my boss so we always know whats going on with each other.
    Or do a meeting at the beginning of every week to talk about whats going on for that week such as events.
    Trotterswife

Answer by Trotterswife at 9:00 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I guess I would just tell her that you would really appreciate better communication. I would say, in a very nice way, that you rearranged your schedule for this event and wish she would have communicated with the office that it was canceled. I would definitely do this in private. Would it be weird for the two of you to have lunch or coffee together? If not, maybe take her out for coffee and broach the subject. Honestly though, the best idea is to just be straight forward with her.
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 9:01 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I would leave her a note, or simply tell her privately how you feel. You never know, by you coming forward and letting her know how you feel may open some doors for you and the rest of your co-workers. Your delivery is what is going to stand out to her! Good luck...
    believejohn316

Answer by believejohn316 at 9:19 PM on Jul. 6, 2010