Does your child wet the bed?

I am wanting all the wetting to stop. How old was your child when they stop wetting the bed at night? Or if they are still wetting at night how old are they? My DD is 5 (we have checked and Dr. checked everything and just says she will be one of the late ones...) anyhow my 3 yr old DD pretty much never never has accidents anytime!

hotrodmomma

Asked by hotrodmomma at 9:00 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My 6 yo just stopped about a month ago and my 7 yo still does every night. We tried for about a month having her wear panties to bed. They never have drinks after 6pm and go to bed at 8pm. We wake them up at 11 and 5 to go to the bathroom. By 5am the 7 yo is always laying in her own pee and she never wakes up. We have to pick her up and it takes both of us to change her and her bed. The fire alarm doesn't wake this child up. The doc said that they will look into it when she turns 8 if she is still wetting nightly. Good luck!
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 2:43 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• only when i let them have drinks all day until bed time but if i stop drinks an hour before bed and make sure they go pee before getting into bed than no they dont have accidents
    jennette0704

Answer by jennette0704 at 9:08 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My oldest never did as they got older...but my ten year old still does at times.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 9:03 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I have 4 kids and 2 of them are bed wetters.

My son is almost 9 and was doing really well.  He decided on his own he wouldn't wet the bed anymore at 6 1/2 and really focused on it but the last 2 summers he's gotten to wetting every other day.  He stays out late playing then comes in and drinks a ton even when I tell him not to and he's so tired he just doesn't wake up.  Other then destroying his summer vacation by making him go to bed before it's even dark there isn't much I can do.

My almost 8yo daughter wets the bed almost every night.  She wears pull-ups to bed (my son will probably start wearing them again, too).  She is a super deep sleeper.

My other 2 kids never wet the bed even when they were toddlers and potty training.  They are 10 and 4 now.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:09 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My 4 yr old stopped wetting the bed a couple years ago, but my 11 yr old still wets the bed and is taking medication for it.
    monkeedork

Answer by monkeedork at 9:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My 5 year old only did once at 3 and only did it then because she was sick and dreamed she was on the toilet. She stopped after a second and managed to get to the toilet to finish. My 9 year old sister still does a couple times a month. I guess all kids are different. Good luck! :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 9:22 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• If your doc says your 5 yr old is going to be one of the late ones, then that may be just the way it is. My son has finally stopped, and he has just turned 7. Limit drinks after dinner, but make sure she gets enough fluids during the day so she's not dehydrated. Make sure she goes to the bathroom right before she goes to bed. Cover her mattress with a good mattress protector. Budget for and buy the GoodNights for her so that you're not washing bed linens every day. But most of all, be patient with her and don't make her feel guilty about this. Her body needs time to grow up. She is not doing this on purpose.

Make her a deal -- if she is dry seven nights in a row, she can wear underwear to bed. But it has to be a full seven days. If she's dry three nights but is wet on the fourth, her days start over from zero. If she goes six nights but is wet on the seventh, she starts over from zero. It's hard, but when she can go a full
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 10:34 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• seven days, let her wear the underwear. Now, make sure you have extra sheets for her bed, because now she is finished with GoodNights. From now on, if she has an accident at night (and she probably will), she has to do two things. She has to tell you, and she has to strip her bed and take her sheets to the laundry room. This is not a punishment. This is a natural consequence. It is very important that you do not punish her for wetting the bed. She cannot help it. Hopefully, it won't happen very often. With my DD, it happened three times total. With my DS, it happened about three times a week for a few months.

Again, be patient with her. Her body just needs time to grow up. She won't wet the bed forever.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 10:42 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My 6 year old twins still do. The doctor doesn't seem that concerned and said when it bothers them then she will put them on medication if necessary, but she said that the still may quit soon.
    momtotwins

Answer by momtotwins at 2:28 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• my daughter was fine from 2-5...then once she was 5 she started to a few nights a week...so now i just get her up at 11pm-12..she just turned 6. i took her to the dr's at first to, because she was fine for pretty much 3 years...but dr said she was fine..so..whooo knows!!!!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 7:14 PM on Jul. 7, 2010