I would like to know what people think of chiropractic care for young children.

My ex husband is taking our children ages 4 and 7 to the chiropracter against my wishes and says there is nothing I can do to stop it. We have joint custody but the children primarily live with me. He has been going to their daycare providers house and taking them while I am at work to go see the chiropractor. I am a nurse. I called the chiropractor and spoke with him myself to let him know that I did not believe in his treatment and that I am their mother and I do not want them to be adjusted. I asked what his concern were w/ them that they needed his care and he just kept saying "You need to come in and see the 'scans' I have of them". So I agreed to come in and meet him and look over his 'scans'. My last words to him were, "I want it documented that you do not have my consent to treat the kids till we meet". He did it anyway that very same day!!! What would you do? I am outraged!!

etwinsmom

Asked by etwinsmom at 9:01 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think chiropractic care is AMAZING and really beneficial for young kids. Try to keep an open mind when you mett with him because it is really good for kids....Our bodies are made to heal themselves and its the central nervous system that regulates every part of our bodies. Treating kids is really gentle and not at all what you are expecting it to be........Just keep your mind open and you will be surprised.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 9:04 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My children have both been seeing a Chiropractor since birth. I would have to say that IF you and your ex have joint custody then there is NOTHING you can do. And why you would want to stop your children from doing something with will not only benefit their physical health but also their long term life is beyond me... I have seen a Chiropractor a few times a year since I was a child, it does wonders for me! Through pregnancy it's a life saver! I don't know what you could have against it...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:06 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I agree with what christyq said!! Both of my kids get adjusted regularly by the chiropractor and they hardly ever get sick. I'm a former nurse myself and I am amazed at the changes I've seen since we've all started getting adjusted. There's nothing at all mysterious about a healthy central nervous system. You need to educate yourself about chiropractic care and the benefits of it.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:08 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My children hardly ever get sick either. I see absolutely no reason to treat no problem. Oh ya, they are on state medicaid. Medicaid will pay for the unnecessary treatment of my kids but I can't get a preauthorization from them to get a child who came into our clinic last week unable to move her neck due to visiting a chiropractor the only muscle relaxer that is safe for a child her age to take. What is ok with that?
    etwinsmom

Comment by etwinsmom (original poster) at 9:11 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I think you need to calm down. Having worked at a doctor's office before, the doctor does not need to stop till the father either says no, or a court says no. He doesn't need consent from both parents.

My son had colic as an infant. A trip to the chiropractor took it away. I have had chiropractic care for many things, and it has taken care of every single one of them. I think chiropractic care for children is great. However you do need to make sure he's a GOOD chiropractor, because I know of one in my area that worked on a patient with a slipped disc, and that should never have happened.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 9:17 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Chiropractic care has nothing to do with them being sick. It's both preventative and treatment care for joint and spinal alignment... Children run, jump, climb and fall which are all harmful to their joint. Chiropractic care from a young age will not only help them to keep their joint in alignment today, which helps with balance & helps to prevent injuries, but it also helps their joints from wearing or developing conditions such as arthritis later in life. Hardly what I would call unnecessary care...

Maybe the issue is simply that you don't understand what a Chiropractor does? Here is a good article that may help to clear up some things for you...
    http://blogs.webmd.com/healthy-children/2008/05/chiropractic-care-for-kids.html

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:33 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• It is only to their benefit, make sure to inform yourself, they are very fortunate to be going, Dad is looking out for them.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:47 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• my kids have all gotten adjusted since birth. we have 5 very healthy children. we all get adjusted weekly. a chiropractor is a dr. of the nervous system. why wouldn't you want your children to be optimizing their nervous system? you are a nurse and are aware that the nervous system controls everything!
    are you sure you are not angry at your husband?
    i guess you can sue your husband for full health and medical responsibility, but i don't think that you would win.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:52 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I think chiropractic care at any age is a wonderful thing. My kids really really benefit from it, and we all love our chiro!
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 10:01 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My issue is that I was not given the choice as to wether or not my children were treated. As a matter of fact, I specifically told him not to treat them. What he did is unethical. I'm guessing that you all missed that part of what I said. And who is to say wether or not he is a good one or just your typical quack? I agreed to come meet him and see what he had to offer. Then what did he do? I have filed a complaint against him with the state and this matter will be going to court where I will be suing for full legal custody so that their father no longer has the right to do things like this. Everyone who has commented so far is missing the big picture here. And no matter how much blah blah blah I hear about chiropractors being good, I am very very set in my beliefs and always have been when it comes to spinal manipulation. Especially in young children!!!!
    etwinsmom

Comment by etwinsmom (original poster) at 11:20 PM on Jul. 6, 2010