if you don't mind sharing....what is your budget for groceries?

I try and get sales, and only get necessaties, but groceries always feel like they are soo much money!!! We are a family of almost 5 right now, we are on wic. I still have to calculate what we spend on a monthly bases, but I tend to go about once a week, and spend from $60-110 depending on which wic checks I'm using. Is it possible to save more? any tips?

Precious333

Asked by Precious333 at 9:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

• Our family: two adults (I'm 7 months pregnant) and three children (ages 7, 3, and 1).
    Our weekly grocery budget: $40-$50.

If there is an Aldi (www.Aldifoods.com) near you, you should definitely shop there! The food is so much cheaper that you'll never want to shop anyplace else!

Buying already-prepared foods is more expensive. Avoid tv dinners, frozen meals, all-in-one bag meals, etc. Avoid non-necessities like pop and cookies - those aren't healthy, anyway. Our first two meals are usually the same every day: breakfast is orange juice, cold cereal or oatmeal, and bananas; lunch is milk, PB&J or turkey/ham sandwiches, and potato chips or pretzels. Dinner is usually a protein (meat/eggs/fish), a pasta or rice, a vegetable, and a fruit. If the kids are hungry for a snack, they get an apple or orange. Everybody gets filled up and it's healthy and cheap!

PM me for more specifics or meal ideas! :)
    SAHM_USAF

Answer by SAHM_USAF at 11:29 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• For the three of us (2 adults and 1 teenager) I spend 200 per month. I spend time making a weekly menu and also only gettng what is needed. This does include all personal items too.
    Kari126

Answer by Kari126 at 9:12 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• For the three of us I usually spend about 70 a week...I am careful what I buy.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 9:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• i live with my parents so thats 4 adults and 1 teenager and our 4 month old im bfing! we spend $250 a week! and thats my mom shopping on sale and everything! she used to spend more before i showed her how to shop! when it was just my husband and i we spent $50-70 a week! shop on sale and use coupons! i love walmart!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 9:18 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• We are a family of six and I try to only spend $200/week.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 9:18 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• We are a family of four(2 adults and 2 tweenaged boys) with guests sometimes. I try to spend under $400 a month on everything household items, human food and animal supplies. I have been using coupons (read here). I save about 10% - now does that mean I only spend $360 - NO!!! That means I spend about $400 with approx $40 worth of coupon products. I do not have too big a stockpile I just don't have the space but I would love how to learn how to can.

mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 9:24 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• We spend about 1200.00 and I don't think there is a any way to cut it.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:43 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• We spend about $800-$900 a month plus we eat out alot too.
    missbritt22

Answer by missbritt22 at 9:50 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My weekly "budget" for our family is $200. We are a family of 7(2adults, 4 children, i infant) and that includes diapers formula and all the household/personal hygiene stuff. I usually don't spend that much-usually 165.00 or so. I always make sure I have a list and that I plan a weekly menu before I go.I also shop at the same place because they always have the best deals. I know some shop at several diffeent places but for me that always seems to cost me more, so I stick to my store.
    Alynn74

Answer by Alynn74 at 9:59 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• 900 a month
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 10:24 PM on Jul. 6, 2010