cost of babysitting?

my hubby just called and said a lady at work is looking for a babysitter for her 2 kids, 5 months and 4 years. she is wanting to pay $100/week for 2pm-11:30pm, with kids in bed by 8. is that a good price, i honestly thought that was kinda cheap. and do you think i would be taking on too much, i also have a 6 week old and a 19 month old. just curious, thanks.

sweetjpea

Asked by sweetjpea at 9:11 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• yeah thats really cheap in a daycare its 170 a week per child but if she a single mom in need of help and you really dont need the money its just extra id help her i do it for my neighbor for 120 a week and she has three boys 6 8 and 10 plus my two who are 4 and 6
    jennette0704

Answer by jennette0704 at 9:14 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I hope she means PER KID.... but even then its pretty cheap.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 9:14 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I'd do it for the $100 per week. Its an extra $400 per month and the only real extra expense is a bit of extra food.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 9:24 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• That's 9.5 hours with another baby & a preschooler. That's a lot to handle for anyone with a baby. I do think $100/week for both kids just isn't enough, unless you feel particularly moved to help her out. Also, consider how much you'll have to put out to do it, too, even if she provides all the diapers, wipes, baby food, formula/breastmilk . . . the 4 year old will still have to be fed three meals and snacks.

At a minimum wage rate of $5.25/hour, 9.5 hours/day, 5 days/week comes to almost $250. Just sayin'.
    DrJChappell

Answer by DrJChappell at 9:25 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I know very well how hard it is to get good trust worthy affordable daycare... The price she gave is more than likely what she can only afford. I would help her out first on a trial period to see if that is something you really want to commit too, and if it is, then great! You are just sewing seeds that will eventually grow....=)
    believejohn316

Answer by believejohn316 at 9:29 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Price is fair but I'm wondering if you would end up being up to late and having to get up early the next morning for your babies?
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:41 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• QandA has a good point your going to have to stay up till 11:30-12am when she gets there then get up early in the morning when your babies wake up....100 is cheap for them unless she is saying 100 each......does your husband work late at night or during the day if he is home when your babysitting then yall will not have much "family" time just yall
    Shannon706

Answer by Shannon706 at 9:45 PM on Jul. 6, 2010