Should I take my 5 year old to a psychologist?

My five year old daughter has always been very strong willed and she has a hard time controlling her anger towards me when I discipline her. She frequently hits me (although this has been getting better), she sometimes tells me she hates me, and the other night when she was calling for me to come downstairs (I didn't hear her because I was in the shower) she told me she was going to kill me. Other than her angry outbursts she is a very loving, happy child. She does not behave this way for anyone else and her teachers say she is very well behaved. Since she only does this with me and her behavior has been improving (believe it or not) should I just let it go or does this behavior seem severe enough to justify taking her to a psychologist.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:15 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would, just to be on the safe side. There could be something very wrong. I've never heard of a five year old child telling their mother they were going to kill them. Good luck mama! ***hugs***
    racheljessee

Answer by racheljessee at 9:17 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• that wouldn't hurt, you really want to help her but i wouldn't let them give her meds unless you really think she needs them. maybe she is just anxious about something and talking would help her.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:17 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• It seriously can't hurt and they may have some great advice on how to handle her when she behaves that way, better sooner than later when she's older and may not respond well to therapy. Good luck.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 9:18 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• It wouldn't hurt, I guess. Have there been a lot of changes in her life lately? Have you explained to her that she is not allowed to hit you and act hateful? Are there consequences for her actions? Has she seen other people treat others this way?
    DrJChappell

Answer by DrJChappell at 9:19 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• she is hearing this from somewhere else. kids repeat what they hear. someone else is talking this way and she thinks it is okay. she is only 5, there is no need for help. step up and disciplin her. YOU are her mom, it is your job to teach her what is right and what is ok and not ok to say. she is learning this somewhere and you need to teach her it is wrong! don't yell and scream at her, that won't help anything. take things away, try timeout. things like that. if you let her get away with it, she'll keep doing it. put a stop to it. don't be intimidated, she is your 5 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER. TAKE CHARGE, BE THE BOSS!
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 9:22 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I would first ask her pediactric doctor and seek his recommendation. Counseling of some sort should be considered. Is your family involved in a good faith-based church? I would talk with the children's pastor; perhaps he would have some suggestions and could work with her. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    SouthernLady7

Answer by SouthernLady7 at 9:24 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I think you should, this way maybe you can get advice of what to do. To see what you didn't realize what may have been going on that you were missing. It's always nice to get help.
    monkeedork

Answer by monkeedork at 9:24 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• There are anger disorders or there could be an underlying issues between the two of you.Take her it will not hurt.If meds are suggested get a second opinion if they both concur then seriously consider the meds.Take care

drfink

Answer by drfink at 9:25 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• seems like if you want to ask that question you already know the answer and just need validation - yes if you CAN take her to a therapist to help her... there are lots of progressive programs with art therapy and fun stuff for kids to get their emotions out. research and find her a REALLY good DOC because you are talking about shaping your kids character, just as important and fragile as an organ. so look into them as if they are doing surgery on her... maybe it would help if you went together sometimes too --- to help you to know how to mangae the issues.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:26 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• You could take her to a play therepy session, I also had to do that with my 5 year old son, who would hit himself in the head, call himself stupid and draw pictures of headstones with his name on them and tell us he wished he was dead, he comes from a very loving home and we could not understand why he was doing these things. We soon discovered that he wanted attention and with the other children in the house he soon figured out that GUARENTEED attention would come from negative behavior. We began to ignore his pouting and negative threats, stopped making a big deal of him hitting himself in the head and eventually he did stop. By nature he is generally negative anyway, he kinda always has been, but I think he's conditioned himself to be that way. Play therepy was actually really cool and informative. Good Luck!! =)
    Liz30355

Answer by Liz30355 at 9:27 PM on Jul. 6, 2010