My baby appears to have swallon lymph nodes in the back of his neck and my doctor said not to worry, should I get a second opinioin?

We recently cut his hair really short because he sweats a lot and I noticed a bump in the back of his head, up a bit higher than the base of the skull. It scared me so I took him to his doctor and she said not to worry, that it's probably a swallon lymph node or a cyst, but that he looked fined and not to worry. She did order an x-ray of his head, but I thought she would order some tests to find out what it really is. When I run my fingers through the area I feel to different small bums, they feel like a little bundle of nerves and it seems not to bother him. Anyone else has gone through something like this with their baby?

pgaytan

Asked by pgaytan at 9:22 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I've heard of both and if the cyst isn't infected or hurting him, they usually suggest to leave it alone because if they remove it, it can come back double the size. My kids had the swollen glands back there too, viruses, bug bites, all kinds of things can cause it. At least your doctor is taking you seriously and ran some tests. If you aren't comfortable with the results that came back, get a second opinion. Do whatever it takes to put your mind at ease. Your a mom, your entitled to worry.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 9:26 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My son had a lymph node that stayed enlarged. His pediatrician was a specialist in his "former life" and assured me that it was nothing to worry about, but I worry. That is just what I do. LOL So finally we had an ultra sound and some blood work, and still they assured me it was nothing. So finally, I stopped worrying and let his hair grow out some so I wasn't obsessed with monitoring it. ;) It has been three years and he is FINE! I would say just put it to the back of your mind for a while. As long as it isn't hard, growing, or he isn't having night sweats and other symptoms...I'm sure he is fine.
    mommyheymommy

Answer by mommyheymommy at 9:27 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• When my daughter was a baby and she is now 25 years old she had swollen lymph nodes in her groin area...it freaked me out...the Dr. just kept an eye on it and nothing ever came of it.....they went away.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 9:27 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• my daughter had one on the back of her head and the doc told me it also was nothing to worry about she said that after they have been sick that their lymph nodes will swell but as long as they dont get bigger then its ok.
    misprriss

Answer by misprriss at 9:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Yes! When our daughter was about 11 months old, her dad spotted a "bump" on the back of her neck, near her ear and it was hard and moveable and about the size of a pea. I took her to the doctor, and he had said the same thing..it was a cyst and not to worry. It may be caused by some sort of infection, even an in grown hair can cause this infection but its nothing to worry about. She is 16 months now and it is still there. I just keep an eye on it for any changes...if it changes like gets bigger or she gets others I have to take her back in.
    It is so scary...and hard to decide wether to trust one doctors opinion. If its in your gut..then go get a second opion. I did a lot of research on it when it first appeared and I felt comfortable with what my doctor was explaining to me. If not, I would have ran to another doctor for sure.

Good Luck to you and your little one.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:46 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• there's a good chance it's roseola, watch for a funny faint spotty rash on his trunk and a low grade fever, it's nothing to worry about just treat it with tylenol as long as the tests come back fine i wouldn't worry about it
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 10:25 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My daughter has this to and everyone keeps telling me it is a swollen lymph node, We go to the doctor in a few weeks so I am asking her about it than but I am sure she will just tell me the same thing your doctor told you.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 12:45 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• If your worried then ya see someone else...
    Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 7:54 AM on Jul. 7, 2010