My daughter is on the Gluten Free Casein Free diet which is super expensive...does anyone have recipe ideas or know of a site online that would be of help...

DiamondDust75

Asked by DiamondDust75 at 9:32 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sorry, but here's a bump for ya. :)
    sandra1023

Answer by sandra1023 at 9:35 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• i cut back on my dd's gluten for a while. we used rice cakes instead of bread. beans and rice are cheap and very healthy! fruits and veggies are great snacks!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:37 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• We did this for a bit with my little one. He was allergic to milk protein, gluten, soy and corn. It was hard until we got the hang of it. There is an allergy/ezcema group here that has really good suggestions. We did a lot of meat, potatoes, veggies. Mainly cooking with whole foods. There is also a mom here at CafeMom that has a vegan bakery (with mail order) that also does some gluten free items. Her name is Aurorabunny and her bakery's name is Brody's Bakery. Here is a link to her website. :) http://www.brodysbakery.com/
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 9:37 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Try the grocery section of Amazon.com. They have a huge variety of gluten free, casein free foods and their prices are great. Their Pamela's Products mixes are especially good, and for so much less than the store prices.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:42 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Check out 5dollardinners.com - it's a mom of 3 that has it, and at one point both of her older boys were on a gfcf diet - so she has a TON of gfcf recipes! She currently isn't gf but still does some gf meals, and has a search option and tags all her recipes.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 9:57 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I have celiac disease and have found so many great sites out there. A lot of groups and pages on Facebook have recipes like every day!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:12 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• There is a cookbook/information book out called "The Kid-Friendly ADHD & AUTISM Cookbook.....The Ultimate Guide to the Gluten-Free, Casein-Free Diet". It has all kinds of great recipes in it......including cakes, cookies, pancakes, soups,etc. It tells what all flours, etc. to use and what kind not to use. I got it because my son has ADHD and Asperger's. The book talks about how this diet helps with children that have these problems. We've gotten a lot of yummy great recipes out of it. I heard about it because Jenny McCarthy uses it for her son (who is autistic). The authors are Pamela J. Compart, M.D. & Dana Laake, R.D.H., M.S., L.D.N..
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 10:25 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• thanxx to all who responded...u all gave me some wonderful ideas and places on the net I will be checking out...my daughter was diagnosed with PDD and I have seen a change in her since I started the GFCF diet...
    DiamondDust75

Comment by DiamondDust75 (original poster) at 1:01 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Where are you big expenses? Dried beans, lentils, brown rice, quinoa, fruits, vegetables, tofu can all be made into meals that are not expensive.
    Send me a message offlist if you would like some recipes.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:21 AM on Jul. 7, 2010