How do I start selling my bread?

A few days ago, I asked what kind of bread to try to make. Sadly, I have been so busy I have yet to try anything -_- But I will!
Anyway, I have had some request for my bread and I have been thinking about this for about a year now.. I want to open up a vegan bread shop! Real bread with real fruit and ingredients. I already posted on Facebook that I will start officially selling my bread Friday, that is mainly to friends, I guess that is how I would start off huh? Is that how people get known for their products? Right now, I just want to get known locally before I go any further to see how it works. Right now the prices that I am selling them for is very cheap ^.^ I am selling a loaf of bread for $0.75 just for now.. If I ever get true demand it will go up.
SO.. my question is .. how do I start off? I want to start off small.. from my own home and get my product out there locally.. any advise would be greatly appreciated! <3

midnight11287

Asked by midnight11287 at 9:45 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Money & Work

• Try your local farmers' market and restauraunts that make a habit out of "buying local". Some of our organic farmers around here also have little cafe shops attached to their farms. They might be willing to buy from you weekly just like the restuarants might. you might also try local caters who don't have time to bake their own bread and just buy it. I'm not sure if any of this will work but you might meet someone along the way who could help you out/stear you in the right direction. Good Luck!
    Alynn74

Answer by Alynn74 at 9:50 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• First, check with your health department. Some cities/states do not allow home bakeries and some have very strict restrictions.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:51 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• What about craft sales or bake sales? Job fairs or fairs where there are a variety of vendors? Health club?
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:53 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• hhmm I have never thought about any of that! Thanx ladies!
    midnight11287

Comment by midnight11287 (original poster) at 9:59 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• .75 cents is too low. Your ingredients alone are more than that. Not to mention, electricity, time, and overhead. Generally speaking you need to triple your costs to do anything other than become your own slave. If you undervalue your product, people will also undervalue it.
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 10:09 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Do you have a sanitation license? Are you using a commercial kitchen, or are you trying to get your home kitchen certified?

Answer by rkoloms at 3:20 PM on Jul. 7, 2010