When do I have the birds and bees talk with my ten year old catholic school son?

My son just turned 10 and going to attend a new catholic elementary school in Sept. Up until now, all the moms in his old class have not had the talk with their sons, and he has not asked questions. Does anyone have a suggestion?

tjmom726

Asked by tjmom726 at 9:51 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• def before you send him off to catholic school
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:53 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I would go ahead and have the talk with him
    Decker

Answer by Decker at 9:54 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I would start now, but not with THE talk but a number of smaller talks.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:57 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• i agree with smaller talks maybe on a day out just kinda start talking about it make him feel comfortable and he may know more than you think and if all his queastions are being awnsered by his friends you dont want a situation when he gets older and you find hes been up to things just cause they dont ask dosnt mean they dont know and if he hasnt heard alot from his peers thats awsome that gives you some time to get in there and lay some good foudation rules
    shannonnlotuz

Answer by shannonnlotuz at 10:09 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I say now. Regardless of the school or religion or other mom's. He needs to know from you the whole truth and not what he can learn wrong on the playground.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:09 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Around this age is a good time...you want to do it so he's informed before all of his friends fill his head with possibly wrong information.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 10:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Why does religion matter? I am Catholic and had the talk with my son when he was 6 and continue to have conversations with him. It is not a subject that you have one conversation and that is the end of it. Don't rely on what other moms do. I went to a Catholic school for 9 years and my mom never talked to me about anything. She handed me a book and said to read it and ask her any questions. Yeah, that did not happen. Kids talk at Catholic schools too. Have the talk NOW!!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:11 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I'd definitely say its time to start talking at 10, catholic school or not. My suggestion would be to open up with stuff about puberty since you're son is 10 and chances are in the next year or so he'll start to see changes. I use a lot of humor in my house to keep things comfortable, with my son's I simply said are you ready to get hair in your arm pits or how to do feel about having to shave your face all the time? From there the conversations just go and the kids feel comfortable saying things or coming for advice. Start slow and the other thing you can tell him is that its possible other parents haven't starting to talking to the children about these things so its best if he lets their parents educate them first. When my oldest was 5 I had to explain the menstrual cycle...when he went to daycare that morning - I told him just that and he never said a word. (He also said he was super happy he was boy)
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 10:51 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• NOW!
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 11:00 AM on Jul. 8, 2010