Nightmares!!!

My 2 1/2 year old has been waking up everynight and sometimes durning naps with bad dreams. This happens several times per night no matter where he is laying. He prefers to be in my bed but I want my bed to myself! He does still have the bad dreams in my bed sometimes. But then I get kicked all night. Why's this happening? How can I stop the bad dreams. I hear that nightmares are normal at this age.

SillyMomma

Asked by SillyMomma at 9:54 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• A peaceful bedtime routine — a warm bath, an upbeat story, a song, and a night-light — can help ward off nightmares. Try reading bedtime books that link sleep with cozy, happy situations, such as Margaret Wise Brown's classic Goodnight Moon.

If the nightmares persist and your child is extremely afraid of going to bed, bring up the subject with his doctor — the bad dreams might signal there's something going on in his waking life that needs addressing.

http://www.babycenter.com/0_nightmares-why-they-happen-and-what-to-do-about-them_7563.bc
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 9:57 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My daughter will be 3 in two weeks, she had these same issues until about a month ago. It was mostly at night, she would just wake up screaming. I would come downstairs to try to talk to her and calm her down. Most of the time she would just cry. I never let her get into bed with me unless it was early in the morning after my husband had left for work. I just always tried reassuring her that mommy's here, and mommy and daddy would never let anything bad happen to her. I would just hold her for a few minutes, and then lay her back down and rub her back until she fell asleep. My husband and I made the mistake of letting our oldest daughter sleep in bed with us when she was a baby... with our other three, we have not done that unless absolutely necessary. I don't think you can necessarily "stop" the bad dreams but maybe try to talk to him before he goes to sleep, about happy things... see if that helps! Good luck!
    SAHMomOf3

Answer by SAHMomOf3 at 10:00 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Nightmares are normal and many children go through them. Sometimes they turn into night terrors. The suggestion from Doctor's is to encourage the little one to sleep with soft light music. There is also a nice bedtime storybook for children to have sweet dreams. Another suggestion would be to leave a light on for the child and to have the child listen or watch something soothing and "safe" right before bedtime. I would also avoid food before bed.
    tjmom726

Answer by tjmom726 at 10:00 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• transitions are tough potty training and what not often cause nightmares if you want you rbed to yourself tell him he can sleep on your floor (my brother slept on my mom's floor till he was 8... seriously) my second suggestion is to cut down on stimulus no tv after 5pm no sugar after 5pm a bath and soothing and lullaby at bed time and couple spritz of bad dream spray to keep the night mares away (warm water in a spray bottle with a couple drops of lavender oil in it to soothe tell your child it's a magic spray that will keep the bad dreams away and let him spray it.) it wont get rid of all the bad dreams but it should help cut them down
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 10:00 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My son went through that phase when he was around 18-20 months old. It was just his imagination gearing up, but one of my co-workers told me she'd read a study that said if you eat a high starch diet, then that can cause nightmares. Well at the time, we were eating more starchy foods because it was winter (like soups and potatoes). I cut back on those, and the nightmares seemed to ease up. They never really go away, but he wasn't waking up screaming every night.
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 10:11 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My 10 year old has done that from the time he was born. The Dr's called it nightterrors and there is nothing u can do for it. he told me they will go way at some point but there is nothing he could do..
    seabrezze_11

Answer by seabrezze_11 at 6:01 PM on Jul. 7, 2010