Should I buy my son his own bed or not?

I am about to be a single mom and I will have to move back in with my parents until I can get back on my feet again. They only have 1 spare room. It is a decent size room and it will fit a queen size bed and a twin size bed. My parent's already have the queen size bed, but I am not sure if I should buy my son is own bed or not. With having to share a room, I have a feeling that he will crawl up into bed with me at some point in the night anyways. He is 5 years old (almost 6). I am not sure how long this living arrangement will be for. It could be for just a few months or it could be up to a year. Should I buy him is own bed now or wait until we get our own place?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:00 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• Go ahead and get him his own bed. That way he will feel that something there belongs only to him. It is difficult to transition a child from a family environment to living in a different house with different people. Try to keep things as "normal" as possible for him.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 10:01 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• If you can afford it, I think you should buy him is own bed. I think it's important for little ones to be used to sleeping in their bed. That gives you your own space, and him his own little space as well. I was a single mom for about 10 months after my daughter was born, and was just dating my now husband until my daughter turned 3. I let her sleep in bed with me from the time she was about 18 months until we moved into an apartment with my husband. It was the WORST adjustment period ever. She would cry and cry because I made her sleep in her own bed. I ended up in bed wit her for the first six months after we moved out, and it was awful. I know your son is a bit older than that, but you should still establish that he has his own bed to sleep in...even if you do co-sleep on occasion :)
    SAHMomOf3

Answer by SAHMomOf3 at 10:04 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I think its probably a good idea to get him his own bed....at some time in the future I am sure you will find someone and then he is going to resent it when he is kicked out of your bed.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 10:01 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Get him his own bed.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Personally I would get him his own bed and make sure he sleeps in it. He's going to have enough challenges to face, sleeping issues don't have to be one of them. It'll be like camping, you're both in the same tent but in your own sleeping bags...right? Good luck :) My sister is a single mother of twin boys - they weren't even two when their drug addicted father bailed on his family. They're ten now and they are all doing just fine. The boys are actually better off without that jerkoff in their lives. Not that your situation is the same but just letting you know, it is doable. GOOD LUCK!
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 10:16 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I agree with everyone else. He needs his own bed. He should go to sleep in it and if ends up in yours for a bit, that's understandable. But he should have his own bed. Then when you get on your feet it is the same bed when you move into a new home. It will be an adjustment going back into his own bedroom when that happens, you don't want to make another adjustment period with him not sleeping with you as well. I personally would try to keep him out of my bed as much as possible.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 10:18 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• If you can swing it, go ahead and get your son his own bed. Teach him how to make it, change the sheets, etc. It will give him a pride of ownership being that is is all his AND it will be something familiar when you finally get back on your feet and can move out on your own.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:23 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Yes, if you can afford it. Because he needs to be in his own bed. Sure you'll be there to comfort him, but he needs to be in his own bed. He needs to know to sleep on his own. Then when you move out you have a bed for him.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2010