are there alot of risks with inducing labor?

i was due july 1st and she still isnt here and we decided to enduce labor THIS FRIDAY. im really scared because i hear that there are some risks, especially when its your first child. anyone been induced (dont know if its spelled right) and did it go okay? could anyone tell me about whats going to happen. im sooooo scared.

mcdonaldm9696

Asked by mcdonaldm9696 at 10:01 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I was induced and other than the monstrous contractions caused by the medication (Pitocin), all went well. I never did dilate past a 3, so I had to have a c-section.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 10:03 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I as induced with my last child, I think its much better to go natural if you can. I think induced labor lasts longer.Nothing went wrong with the induction though. I did have a spinal and my blood pressure dropped from it but they just put some meds in the IV and everything was fine.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 10:03 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Did you know that a due date is only an estimate? That your due date could actually be July 17, since two weeks before and after is still on time? So, you could actually wait until then or later as long as your placenta and fluids are holding up. There really are a lot of risks.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/labor-induction/MY00642/DSECTION=risks  The risks, straight from the Mayo Center.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:04 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• im so scared im going to have to have a c section.... is that pretty common? :(
    mcdonaldm9696

Comment by mcdonaldm9696 (original poster) at 10:05 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• the biggest risk is a c-section which is major abdominal surgery but usually goes fine even if you were to go naturally there would be a risk of c-section so just practice your breathing and try to stay on top of the pain and in control and be flexible trust your doctor everything will be MORE than fine! Women have c-sections everyday they are very common and very rarely have serious complications.
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 10:05 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I meant July 14. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:05 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I was induced at 42.5 weeks with my oldest and at 41.5 weeks with my current youngest. I can tell you right now I will need to be induced with this one come December... It was by far the easiest thing I have ever done. I went in, they gave me an IV, when I got my first pain I got the epidural and watched TV or slept... When you start to feel like you have to poop, it's time to push... With the epidural it's totally painless and simple. Because my body does not create enough pitocin on it's own I will need to be induced with each baby, which like I said, is beyond a great way to go IMO. There were NO complications beyond the fact that the "sleeper chair" was to small for my DH & my family wouldn't go home... I wouldn't worry if I were you. IMO, natural labor is much scarier!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:06 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:06 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I was induced at 38 weeks with my 3rd and had a wonderful experience. I was totally calm because I was aware of when everything was going to happen and I had a chance to plan. The contractions were no worse for me than they were with my 1st or 2nd and my labor only lasted 5 hours.

Answer by missanc at 10:08 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I was induced with both my boys at 39 wks. Everything was fine. I was induced mostly because I was dilated to 4 and 5 and lived a long drive from the hospital, so it was kind of just to be safe type of deal, which was fine with me because both were born in the dead of winter and I was scared to make the long drive while in labor on slippery MI winter roads. ANyway, when I went into the hospital I was already dilated to 5 with my 1st, and 4 with my 2nd, I was admitted to a room and put on an IV and started on pitocin- which is like the natural birthing hormone that you already have in your body- it just gets things going a little faster. Then after a few hours my doctor broke my water, which was very easy and non-painful I barely knew he did it. Then after your water breaks, things really get going, and it was about 5 hours after the breaking of the waters for both babies to be born. No complications or issues for us. Good luck
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 10:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2010