has any one had a newborn who got a urinary tract infection?

My daughter is only 12 weeks old and she was running fever the other day and we took her to the er to find out that she had a urinary trackt infection. They addmitted her to the hospital and we were there for 3 days. She was put on an IV for fluids and antibioics. The doctor said that the infection could have spread to her whole body inculding her brain if it wasnt treated because newborns dont have a strong immune syster to keep the infection from spreading. They had to keep us for 48 hrs to see what kind of backteria it was and if it got in her blood stream. I was in shock, I had no idea that she even had one but I was in even more shock how seriouse it was for a newborn. Im so glad that I check on my babys throughout the nights. I asked the doctor how she got it and he said from her stool and said theres really no way to prevent it even if I wipe front to back. Has anyone experianced this with there newborn?

LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Asked by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 10:11 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My 6 mo old DS had one. It turned out he had urinary tract reflux that caused his. It was scary, such a high fever!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:15 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My 2 week old had one. He had a really hight fever so I took him to the er. They did all kinds of test. Blood test 2 spinal taps it was terrible. I was there 4 days until they found out what was wrong.
    missylove916

Answer by missylove916 at 1:06 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Cloth diapers and elimination communication can help you, eliminate or reduce diaper caused uti.
    A cloth diaper, especially prefolds, have natural poo pockets that help r4duce the amount of poo force. Elimination communication eliminates it entirely. go here http://www.diaperfreebaby.org/ and read this http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1608109/Elimination_Communication_Path_to_a_Diaper_Free_Baby
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:59 AM on Jul. 7, 2010