Besides Marigolds, what other plants/flowers ward away bugs from veggie gardens?

I've got a lot of bugs on my veggies! Any homemade pesticide suggestions are welcome too! Thanks!

CAGirl4

Asked by CAGirl4 at 11:23 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Oh hun...this is a great question! I just planted some Nasturniums around my garden along with the marigolds. You need to identify the pesky bugs and look at gardening sites online. I printed out this one when I was looking to rid my garden of some nasty picnic beetles that were destroying my watermelon/pumpkin plants...

http://www.ghorganics.com/page2.html

This particular site was the best I've come across when looking for companion plants. *S*
    truetigress

Answer by truetigress at 12:14 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• mix plain dishsoap with water and spray the plants. you can use anytype and it takes care of it. citronella plants are good for mosquito problems, you can rub it on yourself to deter them :)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:26 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Nasturtiums and geraniums also help keep away bugs. I would go to your local library or bookstore. There are a lot of good books available on this topic. I have heard that a lot of herbs repel bugs and they would be good to eat too! Thyme, rosemary and sage supposedly repel insects.
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 12:22 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Onions & garlick. This is what they used for pest control back in the day. Just plant them around the border of your garden, or in beetween hills.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:25 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I love Mother Earth News magazine and they always have articles on organic methods for control of garden pests, both insect & animal.

Here's a link to the magazines's website articles on different methods you could try: http://www.motherearthnews.com/search.aspx?search=pest%20control
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:05 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Talcum powder works well too.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:00 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Lots of great suggestions! thanks!!!! I really appreciate it!
    CAGirl4

Comment by CAGirl4 (original poster) at 10:24 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• look on your computer you can find lots of things
    ymadaris2

Answer by ymadaris2 at 12:27 AM on Jul. 7, 2010