Is it possible to get pregnant 4 years after you had a tubal ligation? Has it happend to any of you? Isn't it supposed to be 100 percent? What should I do?

I had the surgery 4 years ago after the birth of my daughter and now I am having signs of pregnancy or at least I feel the way I did when I was pregnant with my daughter!?!?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in Health

• I would just get tested to find out for sure. Then if you are pregnant talk to your doctor.
    tanya777

Answer by tanya777 at 11:40 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• Abstinence is the only 100 % surefire birth control. And yes, it can happen.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:40 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• My aunt had one done about 8 years ago and she has a 15 month old. It is possible because the tubes and fuse together again. Just take a test or see a doctor about it .
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 11:40 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• First, google "PTLS"....

But to answer the question, it is possible, and happens in about one out of every 300-400 depending on the way the procedure was done.
    I have mine 3 years ago, suffer from PTLS horribly- and also have had a failed tubal, I had an ectopic pregnancy about a year ago.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:41 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• A woman I knew growing up had a tubal ligation after her son was born, two years later she had her second daughter, so yeah, it happens.
    heratyc

Answer by heratyc at 11:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I know there are different types of tubal ligation and I have heard the best one is if they are cauterized (I hope I spelled it right). But just in case, go to your doctor.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:10 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• No - it's not 100%. There is a failure rate of .5%. I am having one done on Friday after my c-section and the hospital actually made me sign a form, one of the items on there stated something about that the surgery is "not a guarantee of sterility". It's a low failure rate, but it does happen.

Answer by missanc at 7:23 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Anything is possible, pee on a stick! All I know is if I turn up pregnant at 44 with already having 5 kids....I am going aftr my gynie for child support!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:57 AM on Jul. 7, 2010