When did you take down the baby gates?

DEpley

Asked by DEpley at 11:51 PM on Jul. 6, 2010 in General Parenting

• As soon as my youngest could go up and down the stairs. I think it was soon after his second birthday.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 10:15 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• When he started ignoring whatever was beyond the gate! Like I have two, one that blocks my kitchen and one that blocks my stairs (he will be 2 next month) some days I can go all day long without putting the gate up on the stairs but I have to put it up in the kitchen because he wants to drag every pot and pan out! Some days it's the other way around! :)
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:54 PM on Jul. 6, 2010

• I should also say, that we have been a little bit more lax on the gate on the bottom of the stairs because he figured out how to climb OVER the gate and then run up the stairs...little booger!
    MamaRoberts

• we never had gates ... granted we also dont have stairs .. but well that was just more for him to explore !
    bwsmommy

Answer by bwsmommy at 12:08 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I think it depends on what it's keeping them out from. For my son, we took them down once he had mastered the stairs.... however, if we had a set of stairs like at my mom's house we would still have one up because they are too steep.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:24 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• We don't block off rooms with them, just stairs. We live in a split level and we have one gate at the top of the stairs going down from the top level to the middle level, and one gate at the top of the stairs from the middle level to the lower level. I just don't feel comfortable with my dd (age 2) having free access to the stairs yet. She's not bad at them, but I can't tell if I'm being overprotective or reasonable.
    DEpley

Comment by DEpley (original poster) at 12:31 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• With my youngest the gate at the bottom of the stairs came down around the time she was 18 months and started going up and down on her own freely.

We also had one on our patio door in the kitchen because there's no deck on the other side.  It just drops to the ground about 5 feet below.  We took that down last summer when she was 3.  She knew then to stay away from the door.  The only person that has ever come close to falling out of it is my 63yo father, lol.   We didn't use any other gates with her in this house.  She has had free access to both levels and all the rooms since she was 18mo-2yo.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:59 AM on Jul. 7, 2010