Have you ever let any of your children taste beer, wine or any other alcohol drink?

I let my 14y/o try a sip of Wine. LOL He was not impressed. He never really ever saw me drink before and I felt like he would benefit from being allowed a taste. To demystify it as opposed to letting him always wonder...now he knows. Wine is nasty.

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 12:10 AM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Yes i have & she HATED IT!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 8:17 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• at 14 i would. not at 3.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:12 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I have and they hated it. I also thought demystifying was the way to go, so far neither of them have any interest in drinking. My older son has a couple friends that drink every weekend and he no longer associates with them. He can't fathom why they even bother most of the time. He did say something interesting the other day, he went to Europe last year for 14 days and then spent a couple days in Amsterdam where its legal to drink and smoke pot for minors. Children there can be given alcohol by their parents apparently at a pretty young age and can drink legally at 15, but not buy it until they are 18 (or something) anyway, he said that if we had laws like that here where alcohol wasn't looked at as some right of passage, then maybe kids wouldn't be so apt or prone to want to go out and get wasted all the time. I thought it was interesting, and because of this commend myself for demystifying early :)
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 10:58 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• No I haven't but my children are young.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 12:13 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• let no... has my oldest DD picked mine up and took a sip when I wasn't looking yep! LOL also if your making beer bread and you have a toddler... rinse out the bottles (the foam goes to liquid after it sets a minute and when they pull it out of the box that you sat in in thinking it was empty there is still a bit of beer in it LOL!)
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 12:14 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• i have let my daughter have a sip of a cooler when i had one last summer..i dont ever drink..but i had one last summer, and she had a sip..she was 5 at the time. i wouldnt ever let her try hard stuff tho, straight vodka, rum, whiskey etc..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:15 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• no. my son hates the smell of any kind of liquid
    ymadaris2

Answer by ymadaris2 at 12:17 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• She's only 5 and has a weak heart, so no! But at 14 and healthy? Yeah I'd give her a taste. I agree with demystifying (totally spelled wrong!) the drinks. :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:17 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My kids are 14 months and 3 months. So no. lol. But maybe at 14 or 15....to let them taste it and see how icky it really is haha.
    Army_Wife41

Answer by Army_Wife41 at 12:20 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• We have always let the kids try a little sip or a taste off of a finger. We have to watch it a little now because my youngest is on a medication where he needs to have minimal to no alcohol or caffeine, so we are trying to figure out how to demystify it for him. The other 2 think it isn't a big deal, though DD will be one to keep an eye on in general, though.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:22 AM on Jul. 7, 2010