I am 24 years old and I will turn 25 next April. I am looking for a job with animals or as a lab technician. I don't have any experience in this field.

Would I have problems getting hired because of my age and lack of work experience? Is there anyone here from New York City? Maybe you can hire me for an entry-level position.

annalem

Asked by annalem at 12:37 AM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• if at all possible you should look into starting out volunteering at minimum or working for an animal shelter then work your way into a vet clinic as an assistant (some clinics will pay for your training of your good enough)
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 12:40 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• What about the zoo?
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:45 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Most employers will want to see some sort of vet tech diploma for that kind of work (especially the lab technician part, which does require some training.) Is taking a part time course a possibility? I also agree that volunteering might help you make some contacts, and might make it easier to get your foot in the door in a veterinary clinic or something of that nature, which might give you some stability while you train to move up. Good luck! I looked into a vet tech course back when I was in university- I wish that I had done it some days!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:49 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My local Emergency Vet Clinic takes people on to work as trainee's at full pay until they can take the State Exam. Working at a Shelter is also another way into the career. Most Vets I know take on summer high school kids to work in their clinics. It is not the most glamorous way into a career, I guess the old saying of "You have to shovel a lot of poop before you are qualified" We have a horse rescue in town and they are always asking for volunteers to care for the abandoned horses. If large animals are what you are going for, then this would be a way in.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 1:47 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• You can get a job as a vet tech without a degree, but it's usually minimum wage or close to it and not a very glamorous job. I know here in NC, some of the pharmaceutical companies will also hire (usually through temp companies) people without a college degree - but it's much easier to get a job if you DO have a degree. Could you go to community college part time while you look for a job? (I have my BA, but I also have my AS in BioPharmaceutical Technology, which is what a lot of the pharma companies around here like to see as a minimum)

Answer by missanc at 7:21 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• US Career Institute has a vet tech course you can take all at home and at your own pace. Their prices are very reasonable/affordable, so you can start a course to learn, and mention that while applying for a job.
    NicoR

Answer by NicoR at 12:13 PM on Jul. 7, 2010