Thoughts anyone?

Yesterday my little boy was having a very rough day. He is teething it was making him very whiny. He is just over 1 and knows how to ask for what he wants and let me know he is sleepy so I knew he was in pain. My father, however thought he was just being a brat and kept making comments about him needing to be disciplined. At one point he even said "sounds like somebody needs a cold shower".

I didn't say anything because arguments with my father are pointless. I just picked my son up and walked away.

Wtf? Why would i give my son a cold shower because he is in pain? I wouldn't even use that as a form of punishment or discipline. I know he and my mother used to do it to me and my siblings, but I view it as abuse no matter the age. What is a child going to learn by standing in shower having FREEZING cold water falling on them. It is horrible!

How would you handle this? I know he will bring up cold showers again.

krystie-tina

Asked by krystie-tina at 12:41 AM on Jul. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would just say
    YOu parent your kids they way you want, I parent my kids the way I want
    or
    I'm not going to punish a 1 year old for being in pain
    and after you say what you have to say, leave...no chance for reply

One time my dad said some snide remark to me, I don't care to repeat it but it was awful, I told him to FUCK OFF and not talk to me until he can apologize, then walked away, a week later I get an apology call, which was much needed. I feel like when we come from parents like this we know how to dish it and take it. Try dishing it once and not giving him a chance to reply. Let's see how he takes it.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 4:47 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• You don't have to fight but you need to express to him that this is not how you are choosing to discipline and raise your child. My dad and I differed too and sometimes they know your right but maybe don't admit it and sometimes they don't agree but whatever. also I would blow up if he actually ever did it!!!!
    hotrodmomma

Answer by hotrodmomma at 12:45 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I said fight cause with my father he would try to turn it into one. And oh yes if he ever attempted to do it himself all hell would break loose!
    krystie-tina

Comment by krystie-tina (original poster) at 12:50 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Fathers are very stubborn and no matter what you tell them they will still stand strong with there beliefs, my dad don't believe in cold showers and all that his thing is you should NEVER yell just talk calmly, well talking calmly doesn't always work with my four year old, there are days were I really have to raise my voice to get his attention, so when ever my dad gives me another lecture I just listen him out and just do what works for me.

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 12:55 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Tell your father that when a child is the most unlovable is when the child needs the most love.

Remind your father that his child-raising days are over. Now is it your turn. You can compare notes when your son graduates college.

What I would not do, is leave a child along with a potential abuser.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:35 PM on Jul. 7, 2010