ouch!

my 6 mo old dd was being a little monster all day today! She kept pinching and scratching and hitting at me!! I actually have a bruise on my arm where she pinched me so hard. I don't know what her deal is. I would tell her no and move her hands. I finally just put her on the floor and let her scream for awhile. And it wasn't just me, she did it to the babysitter and dh too. My mom told me to pinch her back, but I think she's too young. How can I help control this? I'd tell her no and move her hand and shed just reach up and do it again.

jedwards2009

Asked by jedwards2009 at 12:55 AM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• REALLY???? PINCH HER BACK??????? 1st I would never leave your child alone with your Mother. 6 months old. She doesn't know what she is doing. Maybe she is teething.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 12:59 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• When she hits or pinches.. tell her no and hold her hand down for a little bit.. put her hand in "time out" It usually annoys them that you have their hand and she will hopefully catch on that if she does that she won't be able to mover her hand. If she does it a second time I would just put her on the floor alone for a little bit.... then she'll know that when she pinches mommy won't hold her. Babies are smart... I think she'll get the picture.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:01 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I agree with you, I think the pinching back part is too young for her, and it would defeat the purpose. She's getting a reaction!
    I would just continually ignore her whenever she pinches. And be consistent.
    Whenever she pinches, do what you normally do, say no, move her hands, and put her on the floor or where ever and ignore her for a few minutes.
    She'll realize that pinching means no attention.
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 1:01 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Yeah, way too young to pinch back.. She has just figured out that when she does it she gets attention, so just move her hands and try to react as little as possible. If she does it again, put her down. If she does it a third time, walk out of her line of sight for a couple minutes. She will eventually stop.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 3:02 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• She's likely trying to communicate something. Pre verbal babies are very physical. Too hot? Teething? Wet? Bored? Seeking affection? You are right to put her down for a minute. But you also need to figure out the problem.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:03 AM on Jul. 7, 2010