VERY underweight full term 9 mo old

My daughter was born full term at 6 lbs 15 oz. She was breastfed for 3 months then switched to formula. Ever since it has been a struggle to get her to gain any weight. She refuses to drink more than 3-4 oz bottles at a time. We searched for months to finally figure out what kind of formula she did well on. She is on Nutramigen AND cows milk for calories. I was super excited to see how much weight she had gained in the two weeks we've been giving her this combo that she loves. Aaaand she gained 2 freaking oz. That's one oz a week which is no better than what she was doing before. She is now 12 lbs 12 oz. And with the way things are going she will be 13 months old when she finally doubles her birth weight. Has anyone fought with their child's weight this extremely? What was wrong? P.s. she is perfectly healthy and happy, she claps, waves, says 2 words understands 5 words, but she cannot crawl or pull herself up and scoot.

momma_shuler

Asked by momma_shuler at 1:02 AM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you discussed with her doctor?
    My DS was on Neosure and then he was put on Pediasure along with formula and food.
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 1:06 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Maybe she's just little. My DD was 9 lbs. at birth. Just stopped gaining at 3 months. At 9 months old she was wearing 3-6 month clothes. She is 7 healthy, but thin. That's just her.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 1:07 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• How old is she? At least she gained weight, even though it was only a little. My daughter started losing weight at around 9 months. She was tested for everything and nothing was found. She is fine now.
    There is a good group on here for underweight babies that may be able to help. Best of luck. I know it is scary.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 1:08 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Of course her doc knows. We've been weighing her weekly to make sure she's not losing weight. He hasn't been concerned at all until today when I told her she can't crawl or creep.
    momma_shuler

Comment by momma_shuler (original poster) at 1:10 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Some babies never crawl so that could be completely unrelated. Is she getting solids at all? If not, then I wouuld say it's time to start. If she is, I would start pushing healthy fats, like avocados, and see if that helps any. Add calories wherever you can, and maybe she needs a more specialized formula?
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:59 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I would ask to be seen by a pediatric GI doctor. She may have reflux (silent) or a dairy allergy, both of which can cause weight gain issues. I would also ask for a referral to a developmental pediatritian. My daughter has dealt with weight gain issues her entire life. She's 22 months and 18 1/2 pounds - she only is that much because she's on a feeding tube (she was 13 lbs at a year). It's possible that your daughter might have a movement disorder, that can cause issues with weight gain. It might also be metabolic. They should do blood work to test for metabolic problems and give you those referrals.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 3:54 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• And I wouldn't necessarily be worried that she's not crawling, I'm just throwing out possibilities. It's perfectly normal for children who are advanced socially and verbally to be a bit "behind" on motor skills. They don't do everything at once. =)
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 3:55 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My 2nd son was 14 lbs when he turned a year old - he was 7 lbs 14 oz at birth. He ate well, actually ate a lot of food! He also was a late walker, late standing, etc. He never crawled, although he did get to where he would kinda pull himself along on his tummy (army crawl?) Turned out he had hypotonia (poor muscle tone) and needed OT for a while to help strengthen his muscles. He's now 10, is still very thin though he eats more food than I do, but his muscles have caught up and although I wouldn't classify him as "strong" he can definitely keep up with his friends when they are playing basketball or swimming in the pool. Keep in touch with your dr, keep an eye on things. Good luck!

Answer by missanc at 7:01 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• have you tried giving her food? like soild food. that is pretty little, (my 3 month old weighs more) but if her doc is ok with it just do your best to get her to eat. maybe more bottles, less time in between? my oldest didnt crawl untill 9.5 months and was walking by 10.5. so dont worry there. every baby is diff. gl
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 7:29 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My kids were all under 6 pounds at birth. They lost weight also. Try them on goats milk. I know it sounds horrible but it WORKS. Oh and it really stinks too. it will put some weight back on the little one. I have 6 all mine drank goats milk. can't hurt to try. you will see.
    iamlovable1

Answer by iamlovable1 at 8:41 AM on Jul. 7, 2010