At what age would I be too old to look for my first job, if I have no previous experience?

I am 24 years old and I will turn 25 next April.

annalem

Asked by annalem at 1:03 AM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• Never. I worked at chick fil a in high school and we had a 92yr old woman who got her 1st job ever working for us giving out samples and things :) On a job application you'll have to stress the things you do everyday that you are good at, that could help a company --- like being organized - if you have kids, sticking with a schedule, etc. Also volunteer work can be put on a resume, so look around for some opportunities to volunteer that would give you some experience
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 1:07 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• As long as your breathing, walking and talking it's never too late, if there is a job available employers are always looking for hard working reliable people.

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 1:08 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My mother never graduated high school and stayed home with seven kids until we were all grown and out of the house. She got her GED in her 40s. About five years ago she began her first job after taking MRDD training courses. She now makes more than I do! I'm so proud of her.

So, that was a long way of saying you are never "too old". I have been reading your questions on here and just wanted you to know that you are definitely NOT too old to go to college or try something new. Now is the perfect time. I felt the same way when I was your age and I put things off. I am now 32 and going back to college to finish up my degree. Do it now! It can be scary at first but you'll really be glad you did it.

It is commendable that you are looking to better your life, and that of your children's! Be proud of that! Best of luck.
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 1:16 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• ** Haha! Just noticed my typo. It's late. Should be "children" not "children's". ;)
    LittleWeloosMom

Answer by LittleWeloosMom at 1:17 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My answer is NEVER. As a former 'head hunter' or personnel director, I always liked to hire the more 'mature' worker. I find that they had a better work ethic and would work really hard and they would always ask for more work to do when their work was done.

Age discrimination is illegal.
    Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 1:40 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I agree with Joeygoat above. You only need *one* job, so yes, lack of experience will keep some options out for now, but not all. Focus on informal 'networking' - email or call professional people you know and let them know you're looking for work, do tey know of any interesting opportunities, any contacts who might be willing to meet you for coffee and share some tips (especially if you have an industry, type of job in mind). Be nice, be sincere.

Also remember even if you haven't worked at a traditional 'desk job' you have skills they need. Mention every computer program you are proficient in. Every language you speak. Accomplishments as a student, volunteer, etc. Your willingness to learn. Get letters of reference from people who know you and can 'vouch for you' so you can mail them to HR depts or bring to interviews. Everyone starts SOMEWHERE don't give up!
    tigrefan98

Answer by tigrefan98 at 2:32 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• While you may never have had a paying job, you certainly have life skills and experiences (and hopefully education) that employers value. Parents develop skils in time management, logistics, budgeting,etc. Chances are, you have done some volunteer work, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:04 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Well if you work with children...as a parent you have a ton of experience. Try a job working at a preschool or a camp for kids etc.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:42 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• You are young! There are men and women graduating from college in their 90s. The sooner you start working the better you are. People tend to think someone is lazy, etc. if they don't work at your age and it could be a deterrent to hiring you. Take classes or whatever to get some skills to work.
    joysings

Answer by joysings at 4:48 PM on Jul. 9, 2010