When is the right time to have the "talk" with young girls?

I started my period when I was 10.... my oldest is 9 now and I just don't know what to say or how to say it or anything for that matter, time is getting pretty limited I'm sure, but no one ever talked to me so I don't know where to start. Suggestions please!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:04 AM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Take her with you to get pads or tampons, whatever you use, and ask if she knows what they're used for. Tell her to tell you what she knows and then correct her mistakes and add to it. It's hard, I know. I had to learn it all from a friend. She helped me buy my first box of tampons and told me about sex. My mom refused. She had her reasons though. I think I overcompensate with my daughter. She's 5 and knows a lot. Not the cool, kinky stuff of course, but about the basics of sex, what BC is and what it's used for and about periods. I just answer the questions she has when asked.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:12 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• i talk to my daughter now & she's 5!
    mrsary

Answer by mrsary at 1:16 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• This is not "a talk"; it is a series of conversations that start practically at birth, with teaching your children the proper names for body parts and their functions.

Chances are, you nine year old has picked up a lot of information (and misinformation) from other children.

Make sure to send her to school with a period pack in her backpack: clean underwear, plastic zipper bag for dirty underwear, and two pad; she should practice using the pads ahead of time.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:07 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Don't beat around the bush. Use real words. If you don't tell her she will learn it from someone else & resent you later in life for not mothering up & telling her all about it. And tell her the truth, don't sugar coat it. My DD is 8 & we've already had the talk in detail.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:58 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• By this age has she not at the very least had a health class? That should have at least opened the door. I would talk to her about the possibility as you started rather young. There is a book called Body Drama. It is VERY good and I highly recomend it!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:38 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Thank you all for your answers.
    Sammey

Answer by Sammey at 11:06 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• In 5th grade they had a puberty class, she was 10 at the time.
    mommybug77

Answer by mommybug77 at 12:23 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Now..when you have to ask..that when it"s time to begin the process...of the BIG talk
    jmfire14

Answer by jmfire14 at 9:23 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Find the book series :"God's Design for Sex" by Stan and Breanna Jones. They are a series of 4 books one of which is for 3 to 5 yo, one for 8 to 12 yo, one for 12 to 15 yo and one for 15 +. EXCELLENT series!
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 10:51 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• the best time is now...the sooner the better is always the answer. My daughter is 11 and we are discussing things like erections because of stuff she has heard at school. I know at 9 it was just as bad.
    Walker101

Answer by Walker101 at 1:28 PM on Jul. 8, 2010