What do you think I should do?

My boyfriend has been stressed with work for a little over a month. He hated working at the lowest level of his company, and was trying hard to advance and get a promotion, which he did, but since he has, he's been a jerk. He says he is sleeping less, and doesn't feel well more often because of the lack of rest. We don't live together, so when I do have the chance to see him, he always complains his head or stomach hurts and he just wants to relax. He's barely affectionate with me, and makes occasional comments that aren't very nice. We weren't having any issues in our relationship before the promotion, weren't fighting, etc. so I'm thinking it's a personal issue on his part, like he can't emotionally handle the stress, and am giving him space to figure out what is going on with him before he tries to talk to me again. Does anyone else think this is a good idea? What would you suggest I do?

countrygirl1987

Asked by countrygirl1987 at 1:07 AM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Relationships

• He may not realize what he's doing to you. Try talking to him about it. Tell him you understand what he's going through, but it's no excuse to be taking it out on you. On one of his days off, have a "wind-down date" . Do something relaxing like watching movies together in your pajamas or something. Offer to give him a massage. Don't push yourself away, because that may give him the impression that you don't care. At the same time though, I know you don't want to crowd him when he's being this way. I hope he comes around soon and that you two work through this. Good luck
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 1:12 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I would say that space is a good thing, absence makes the heart grow fonder and if it is just work he will come running back!
    Sammey

Answer by Sammey at 1:14 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Thanks! And I'm trying to be supportive, but I think that may be annoying him a little. Not sure if it is, but it seems that way to me. I don't want to be overbearing, and that's why I thought space would be the best idea.
    countrygirl1987

Comment by countrygirl1987 (original poster) at 1:14 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I think you are right on.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 1:22 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Thanks to everyone that's offered advice so far:).
    countrygirl1987

Comment by countrygirl1987 (original poster) at 1:25 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I think that this is something you should have a sit down talk with him about. Just bring it up, not in an offensive way, just be like "I would just like you to know that I am happy you got your promo but ever since you have gotten it you haven't been treating me well. I don't know if you were aware, but now you are and I would like to see some improvement because it is not acceptable."

Then take it from there, the last thing you want is some grumpy man making you unhappy

Good Luck with whatever you choose to do.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 4:42 AM on Jul. 7, 2010