How do I balance between pumping and breastfeeding?

I'm trying to pump and feed, but how do I balance between the two without one dominating the other? If that makes sense.

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 1:14 AM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Go to this group and you should get a lot of help:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/325

itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 1:17 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• It depends on how your breasts are, are you going to breastfeed or pump- then feed? If you are going to pump then feed, then just do it when your "full", if you are doing both feeding and pumping, try regulating between the two, maybe feed, then 3 hours later pump, and so forth until you get comfortable with a schedule.
    Hezekiahs_mom

Answer by Hezekiahs_mom at 1:18 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• How often are you offering bottles? If you are offering just once per day, then pump about an hour after the first morning nursing session.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:20 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Thanks guys. I just wanna be able to do both since I'll be going to school in the fall and I want to make sure she gets enough straight from me but can take from the bottle too when I go back to school.
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 1:23 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• This is a good question. I breastfed my 2nd dd, but wasn't properly educated. I ended up having to stop because I had to have emergency surgery and was on antibiotics for about a week so I just gave up on breastfeeding altogether. Hopefully with our next I can stick with it longer.
    adoredby3

Answer by adoredby3 at 1:28 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I breast feed and go to school and I'l be going to work again soon. It just takes having a stock up for those days you don't pump enough and get into a pumping schedule. I only pump 2-3times a day, 10minutes a breast.

If you feel like you are running low and need to increase your supply, remember to drink water and you can take Fenugreek, it's an organic, all natural herbal capsule that will help you increase your milk supply. Take 3 pills 3 times a day, and then once your milk is at good supply you can either stop all together or slowly stop taking them to keep supply up.

Also, don't feed her from the bottle yourself, even for practice. Have your SO or whoever her caretaker will be practice. My son had his first BM bottle at 3 weeks, then again at 4 weeks, then every other day after, even though I wasn't working, I just wanted to make sure he wouold switch back and forth and he did.

Good luck
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:44 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I think it depends on your feeding schedule. When my DD was really little and only nursed one side I would pump the other side while she nursed and then do the opposite. I also talked to a lactation consultant who reccomended me taking fenugreek which increased my supply dramatically. I had a freezer full of milk and I was able to produce enough milk to feed my daughter by bottle when needed and also give a friend whose son was born premature milk. She was unable to produce enough milk and he had a hard time digesting formula and it was really rewarding to help him. Congrats on going back to school and Good Luck!
    ShaunaYve

Answer by ShaunaYve at 1:53 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Pump while nursing first thing in the morning. And remember, breastmilk doesn't last forever, make sure you're storing it appropriately. Make sure YOU never offer a bottle.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 3:50 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I work partime so I pump while nursing. It helps.

Go here to see how to pump properly to maximize output.
    http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:52 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Since you won't be going back to school for a couple of months, your best bet would be to mostly breastfeed at this point. Pump and bottle feed one time a day (or even every other day) and then just breastfeed the rest. When you go back to school pump when you are apart and nurse when you are together.
    Your milk has the highest level of antibodies when your baby takes it directly from your breast, and is second-best when it is freshly pumped. The longer it is stored, the more of these antibodies are deactivated. Freezing destroys even more antibodies. (Your frozen milk still provides excellent nutrition and protection for your baby, just not as good as directly from the breast or freshly pumped.)
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:56 AM on Jul. 7, 2010