8 year old girl kissed her girlfriend

My 8 year old daughter just came crying to me that she didn't feel good. Apparently earlier today she played "girlfriend/boyfriend" with her 8 year old girl friend. They pretended they went to a movie, dinner, dancing and they kissed. I think it's just normal curiousity and she's suffering from her own conscience. I just tried to tell her she did the right thing by saying it didn't feel right and telling me. I don't know if I should tell the other mom

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Jul. 7, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I might just let the mom know it happened, just tell her they were playing and you are talking to your dd about what kissing means.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:24 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Oh goodness poor thing!
    I think you handled it very well. As for the other mom if you say anything I would just bring it up casually, like "the girls were playing this game the other day and even though it is a normal thing, poor *insert name* came to me sick from guilt cause in their game the girls kissed". Just something simple like that.
    krystie-tina

Answer by krystie-tina at 1:28 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I know the right thing is to tell the other mom, but i'm afraid she will think my daughter is a freak. It sort of freaked me out, but I am also going with the curiousity thing. I tried to use this as a moment to tell her there will be other things she's curious about and she should ask me and listen to her instinct if it doesn't feel right. Geeez. I am not prepared for this!
    Heidi133

Answer by Heidi133 at 1:31 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Don't worry about it. You don't have to tell the other mom. Believe it or not, that is a VERY nomral thing for kids to experiment with. I would not tell the other mom because i don't think it's that big of a deal. She told you & that is all that matters.. You did good by telling her she did the right thing by telling you, that always should be encouraged. I would just hug her, tell her she is a GREAT kid & that what happened is normal. Kids see people kiss all the time & want to act like adults, it's seriously not out of the norm for kids to pretend like that.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:51 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I wouldn't tell the other mom, either, because the girls were just playing pretend and weren't doing anything wrong. But if the other mom calls you about it, you can tell you that you know about and that your daughter and you discussed it. You can tell as much or as little of your conversation with your daughter as you feel necessary. But I think that you should make sure that you work to keep the girls' friendship intact.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 10:26 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• This is really not such a big deal, after all they were playing the roles, I wouldn't say anything, it is not that important to worry about.

Answer by older at 11:42 AM on Jul. 8, 2010

• Thanks all. I ended up telling the other mom and she totally did not think it was a big deal. I'm off the ledge!
    Heidi133

Answer by Heidi133 at 12:33 AM on Jul. 10, 2010

• I THINK U SHOULD LET THE OTHER PARENT KNOW ABOUT WHAT HAPPEN BECAUSE IF U DON'T IT MAY HAPPENING AGAIN WITHOUT U KNOWING ON THE OTHER HAND IT MAY CAUSE A CONFUSINGWITH OTHER PARENT CHILD MAY HAVE TOLD BUT WHO 2 KNOW IF U BOTH DON'T COME FACE TO FACE AND TALK ABOUT WHAT HAPPEN THINGS HAPPENING AND THIS WORLD TODAY AND SOMEONE HAVE TO BE ADULT AND THIS SITUATION. WHEN EVER A CHILD SEES SOMETHING HAPPEN THEY REPEAT IT. MAY BE IF PARENT KEEP CHILD FROM LOOKING AT THESE MOVIES ON TV. WELL LET ME STOP BECAUSE THE WORLD HAVE CHANGE IT'S 2010. WAKE UP PEOPLE MAKE DIFFENCE IIN UR CHILDREN LIFE.
    BEAUTIFULWOM518

Answer by BEAUTIFULWOM518 at 5:12 AM on Jul. 14, 2010