Moms of Toddlers: Who does the disciplining?

I'm a SAHM and me and my daughter are really close. She's 2 and I know what she's talking about all the time and I know when she's doing someting naughty or when she's just being 2. My husband gets upset about the smallest things and it's frustrating and then he gets upset when I discipline her for something thats deserved. Or what really bugs me is when people are around he acts over concerned and it's really annoying. So is it a shared responsibility in your house?

ShaunaYve

Asked by ShaunaYve at 1:46 AM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• OMG! I know exactly what you mean. I am with DS 24/7! I when he is being naughty, curious, sleepy, hungry and when he is just pushing his boundaries. DH however has no clue! He is constantly freaking over the littlest stuff. It drives me insane!
    krystie-tina

Answer by krystie-tina at 1:50 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• We both luckly are one the same page with disciplining, We both know when he is being bad, a "normal" toddler, sleepy...etc. I think sometime we both get frustated at times. but all in all i would say both of us
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 1:56 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• It is both of our jobs. We usually are always on the same page.
    midnight11287

Answer by midnight11287 at 2:12 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I'm with DD 24/7 so I'm usually doing the disciplining, but when hubby's home, he knows just as well as I do what she's doing and why she's doing it. Mainly because I let him know beforehand. lol. He knows I know her best only because im with her all the time. And half the time, I still dont know what she wants!
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 3:13 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• it is so important for parents to show a united front and be consistent with rewards and discipline. In a perfect world, a couple discusses this before deciding to have children.
    If the two of you are not in sync, I strongly recommend having a conversation with a neutral third party (like a couples counselor or clergyperson) and get back on the same page.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:52 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• When my husband is home, we both take part. I'm a SAHM and when it's just me, I am a little bit more strict, Daddy is a little bit more of a pushover - but it's definitely related to our personalities and our kids know that when asked, we definitely back each other up.

Answer by missanc at 7:08 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• We both take part in this. Although, I can usually read her better as other's have said.
    MrsPeek

Answer by MrsPeek at 11:59 AM on Jul. 7, 2010