Have you got any great ideas to make our minimal use efforts better, (reduce,reuse,recycle.)

Can't wait to see some of these.

coffeeyum

Asked by coffeeyum at 1:56 AM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Money & Work

• I guess it has something to do with the green movement and conservation. My very small ways, I use bandanna's for dinner napkins. I cut up large older towels that are worn out, hem them and use them in the kitchen to replace paper towels. My Froogle nature comes out when I cut a box of Brillo soap pads into quarters to make them last longer. I never fertilize the lawn, my yard guy just mulches the cut grass back into the lawn. So, my lawn is lush and green. I also never water it to make the roots go deep in search in water. I tie together those mesh bags that onions and potatoes together to make pot scrubbers. I make a really good furniture polish by soaking a shammy cloth in a glass jar with a tight lid. I then pour liquid lemon oil. This lasts forever. As for room freshener is from Vodka and essential oils mixed and sprayed around to freshen rooms up. The Vodka keeps it from evaporating.

Joeygoat

Answer by Joeygoat at 2:11 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Wow, !! I love the lemon oil, and the soaked shammy cloth, I'll try that, I could see where you are good at organizational projects. Did you ever think of putting a how to--book together, or a column in a paper?
    To make the smell for room freshener, did you ever try to use dry flowers in a steamer?
    I did wonder too about the deeper roots, when I see how grass does well even in places where it's been drought stricken.
    Thank you very much for these sweet answers.
    I'd love to be on your friends invite, .... good night
    coffeeyum

Comment by coffeeyum (original poster) at 2:18 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Check out www.freecycle.org - you can offer un-needed items or pick up some great stuff free. I have given away an old faux XMas tree and a semi-working electronic keyboard, leftover paint, etc. and have received Legos, kids clothes, pens, misc items I needed. There are local groups nationwide.
    tigrefan98

Answer by tigrefan98 at 2:18 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Make at least some of your own cleaning products. This has the added bonus of bringing fewer toxins into your home
    This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non toxic.
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    ¾ cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice)

Answer by rkoloms at 5:56 AM on Jul. 7, 2010