• In the Spotlight:

Does it bother you?

That tv and movies are putting so much positive attention on being obese? I'm not talking about the curvy girl gets the guy type of stuff, but the obviously unhealthily large people that are starting to be the center of shows and movies?

rhianna1708

Asked by rhianna1708 at 2:17 AM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Not at all. Us chubbies can have good stuff happen to us too. Our lives don't suck just because we're overweight.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:19 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I haven't seen any shows or movies that really show obesity in a positive light... do they? Which ones?
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:21 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• This stemmed from something my mom said to me about the new show "huge", just wondered if anyone shared her point of view.
    rhianna1708

Comment by rhianna1708 (original poster) at 2:26 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• p.s. these are HER words about the actors, not mine.
    rhianna1708

• I cannot think of any shows that do that off the top of my head but I think that it may be beneficial for overweight kids who are at the mercy of what their parents feed them. Granted it does desensitize us to unhealthy weight but at the same time I think it lessens the teasing that kids get from their peers than when we were kids. Hopefully there will be enough information sources and changes in our society (like why only candy at movies can we have fruit mixes or trail mixes etc) that when these children are adults they can change their lifestyle and eating habits. i just hate it when kids are teased so relentlessly over something they have no or little control over or were not taught properly.
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 2:28 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I guess I don't know what HUGE is about... I don't think it would bother me though, I doubt it would encourage people to become over weight, and might help over weight people to feel better about themselves?
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:37 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Never noticed them.  The only thing I ever see is that  it is still acceptable to completely make fun of and humiliate "fat" people as if they are a lower lifeform.  I have pretty thick skin when it comes to my weight so it rolls off.  I can even laugh at myself.  I'm just glad none of my kids have weight issues.  I've worked very hard to make sure they don't follow in my footsteps.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:40 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Yes, it does. It's not because "big" people don't need love or to be accepted its because it sends the wrong message to people.

"Its ok to be fat" makes people feel like they shouldn't try to be healthy and others should just accept that they're huge. While its true that we shouldn't judge others, its also true that what others do affects us. Its not like its just a handful of people, its almost our whole country. We've strayed a long way from being fit because that's what our lives/jobs made us.

Can you imagine what people just a century ago would say to us?
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 2:44 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I dont think they're trying to say it's okay to be fat. I think they are trying to teach people to feel comfortable in their skin. I am overweight myself and I'm embarressed by it and have started doing something about it. I think the show HUGE is just trying to show that fat people are just like everyone else. We have insecurities, crushes, issues....just like everyone else. There's a difference between losing weight to be skinny like women in magazines and models and losing weight to be healthy. Perhaps thats what HUGE is trying to show.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 3:08 AM on Jul. 7, 2010