Does change scare you or do you view it as an opportunity?

It seems like everyone I know is going through massive change right now either with health, employment, finances, etc... Which leads to the question, how are people coping with all this change?

How do you cope?

kimbaustin

Asked by kimbaustin at 2:24 AM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Relationships

• I think change is a scary opportunity.

There's things about it that are scary, and that can cause anxiety and cause all sorts of stress, but then again, without change, we would stagnate. If we think about it, all sorts of things in our past that we look back on as good thing or as a growth phase in our life were, at the time, a period of change and stress. (Starting school when we're little, graduating, having a serious relationship - having said relationship end - starting a new one, then later getting married, having a kid, etc....)

If we were afraid to face the stress of change and go out there, we wouldn't ever get anywhere in our lives - basically - we would be afraid to live. Or, as Jimmy Buffett puts it in one of his songs - "I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." :-)

Change isn't always a bad thing :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:42 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Oh, I forgot to say how I face change, which, by the way, as a military spouse with two older teens, I've been through a lot of change...

But, the way I cope is I try to make a list of the positives that go with it, and look for the good in the situation, and not try to make my new situation be the same as my old one, but to find out what's good about my new situation.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:44 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I deal with change as an opportunity. I am not the type to get any extra anxiety over change, I get my shock, and then I get planning for the next best thing that the change may bring. NOW MY SO on the other hand does a complete freak out, mid life crisis, sort of deal when there are big changes. OH GOSH, we balance each other out of course, but there is a reason I am in charge of bills and such, because he freezes like a deer in headlights everytime something isn't normal. LOL MEN!!!
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 4:56 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Change can make me nervous, but I try to embrace it because it's inevitable.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:53 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Change can sometimes be a little intimidating.....esp. health or finnaces....but this is why we have to learn how to deal with things, but being open-minded, having plenty of resources, and most of all a support team(family, friends, church, etc)...This is how I cope with it!
    Marinewife7-18

Answer by Marinewife7-18 at 6:03 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

I agree with this!  Sometimes change can make me nervous but life is constantly changing and you need to go with the flow.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 6:23 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• well, i try to remember that change is natural and what is happening will also change. i'm in a super scary position at the moment, but i try not to let fear dictate how i'm going to feel and how i'm going to act. i just take it one day at a time, one step at a time, and keep doing the right things. if i let fear control me i end up doing nothing, which will get me... nowhere. i don't really have a plan and so much is uncertain now, but somehow i will make it... i've been in some really horrible situations before and made it through those with a strength i didn't know i had until i needed it. i trust that is still there.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 7:26 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• It's exciting!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:35 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I adapt well to change. I tend to do well in crisis. When thinks are crazy, I always start to think clearly and take control.for example when I was working at a bank we had a robbery. Afterwards I immediately began protocol and instructed everyone on what to do. Called the right people and made sure all the tellers were okay. I am also the one to be postive when things change and I easily switch gears. I am usually the one leading the grumby people who hate change to accept it. I am not sure why I am like this, maybe part of growing up. I had a tremendous amount of change and crisis growing up. Now when things are static or boring, I get nervous. I've had to learn to not be nervous during normal boring life. It a little backwards for me!
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 7:58 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Change can be hard, but I really try to embrace it. Obviously there is a reason for the change rather it be bad or good, and the best way to deal is to just accept it!
    soccerchik8287

Answer by soccerchik8287 at 9:29 AM on Jul. 7, 2010