how do I get my 4 year old to stay in his bed?!?!?

Ok so wow. My 4 year old son Sky is driving me up the wall... He only listens to my fiance'. I mean, dont get me wrong, Tristan (my fiance') always reinforces what I say and never undermines me in any way. I just dont know why Sky wont listen to me. I am constantly having to repeat myself when I know he hears me. Anyway.. back to my original question... sorry ladies.
Bed time is bed time in our home. He is 4 and imho I think he still needs his naps. Trust me.. you dont wanna know what he is like with out resting. I dont care that he sleeps so much, just the resting part I am after. I have tried letting him read in bed, but he only tears his books or/and still gets out of bed, spanking, time outs, a stern talking to, picking him up and putting him back in bed.. taking toys away, ect.. I think maybe it is just bc I am telling him to go to bed. If Tristan were to tell him to go to bed, he would stay in bed. Cont..

midnight11287

Asked by midnight11287 at 2:24 AM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Does anyone have experience with this?? Tristan feels horrible that he wont listen to me but he listens to him.
    Tristan lives with us, and will be his step dad soon, so I think it is great that Sky listens and loves him so much, but
    how do I reinforce what I say?? I am extremely consistent with following through each time on discipline, the only reason
    i have tried so many things is bc this has been going on for a LONG time. I have even tried sitting down and talking to Sky
    about listening to mommie and why he needs to be in bed... please.. any advise will help
    midnight11287

Comment by midnight11287 (original poster) at 2:25 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My boys are only 2 years and 6 months. My two year old gets out too if I don't stay there. I just go through the schedule, bath time,brush teeth, then I sit in the rocker in their room, and I feed Ryan (the baby) and Lay Lucas (toddler) in bed. Then I lay Ry down and I just rock until they are sleeping. I have a little Scout toy dog that sings for ten minutes. I turn that on for them and usually before its over they fall asleep and I can go about my business. Some nights Lu will sleep in his bed the whole night through, other I have to take him back and lay him down and rock for a few minutes before he will stay put again.
    Basically, I have to stay there until they are asleep, or Lucas curiosity gets the best of him and he'll come wondering out. Good Luck.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 2:43 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• me too!! my four year old is something else, suddenly!! Stay consistent. I offer her choices like: you may read a book and then take a nap, or you can watch one episode of Dora first then take a nap...do you want the window open or closed? pink blanket or white? She feels like she is more in control when she is making these kinds of decisions. I have explained that taking a nap gives her a body a chance to rest and build up more energy and also taking a nap helps her to make better choices for the rest of her day because then she wont be too tired...As far as listening to you: obedience is not an option. My children know and are told that they do not have to agree but they do have to obey and be respectful (somethings are up for debate with the older ones...) "Im the mommy and its my job to make good choices for you and to teach you to make good choices too." EXPLAIN WHY. there is nothing wrong with explaining ur reasonings
    Mrs.Barela

Answer by Mrs.Barela at 8:22 AM on Jul. 7, 2010