What do you do outside school to improve your kids education?

Do you feel like your children gets a complete education in school, or do you have to get outside help? What are your biggest fears and challenges with the education system today?

kimbaustin

Asked by kimbaustin at 2:31 AM on Jul. 7, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son is still preschool age, so as of right now, he goes to a preschool that is basically has more socializing and playing rather than learning, so we also do homeschool preschool, where he practices writing his name, writing words, reading words, adding and subtracting. When he starts school, I still plan on supplementing at home as well and possibly putting him in a tutoring program when he starts to get a little older. The biggest challenge I am finding in the schools in my area is finding a school where my child won't be one of 5 English speaking kids in his class. It makes me sick that when my nieces started kindergarten last year, they were set aside to color so the teacher could spend time teaching the other kids how to speak English.
    GavinsMommii

Answer by GavinsMommii at 3:03 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• When my daughter was younger, we played learning games and always had fun and educational workbooks, and sent her to science enrichment classes.
    By second grade, she was enrolled in an academically advanced program, and we no longer needed to supplement.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:41 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My daughters are still preschool age, but I definitely plan on supplementing their education when they start school. I used to teach elementary school and know first hand that even the most dedicated teacher cannot reach each child at his/her individual level. I plan on doing this mainly by reading books with them that correspond to the subjects they are learning in school and probably doing some math lessons using a homeschool curriculum.
    lovemydivas

Answer by lovemydivas at 7:31 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My kids all went to private schools I do not have faith in the public school system. During breaks of school we would watch a coocoon become a butterfly, or attended children museums, they absorbed all they saw.

Answer by older at 7:58 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• School was never challenging enough for my son because the school system uses a "one-size fits all" approach ... heaven forbid your child learns differently! The whole "drill and repitition" method of teaching used to drive him (and us) bonkers! We supplemented his schoolwork with work of our own. He was doing college algebra using one of my textbooks when he was in 5th grade and he loved it (though teachers would fail him on 5th grade level math tests because he didn't show his work (he did a lot of the work in his head))! He would read books of his choosing and give us oral presentations because he was stronger orally than on paper (again, teachers did not allow this). He even learned a second language! We exposed him to anything and everything ... art, music, sports, etc., most of which took place outside of a school-like setting. I personally think you learn better when you "do" and when you're enjoying yourself!
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 8:14 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Our Library is GREAT and has many wonderful programs

The ZOO is my daughters favorite and she learns and reads EVERYTHING

We did the Science in the Summer with Glaxo Smith & Kline last year it was great

Also sports are GREAT for kids. We do soccer, softball, baseball, and daughter is starting cheerleading this Aug/

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:11 AM on Jul. 7, 2010