At what ages did you do these?

When did you put your child in a toddler bed/regular bed?
When did you start potty training?

My DD is 20 months and we are moving next month. I'm not too concerned about the potty training....thats just curiosity. But we already have a toddler bed that my mom gave me for her to use when she's ready. I was just thinking of whether letting her use it when we move or keeping her in her crib to have something thats still familiar to her.

I'm not trying to rush it or anything. She has yet to climb out of the crib (fingers crossed it stays that way). Just curious if with a new move and new room for her that giving her the toddler bed could get everything new out of the way so later on it's not so hard on her.

MommyLee08

Asked by MommyLee08 at 3:27 AM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would keep her in the crib. For about a month or two after the move. So everything is not so new to her all at once.
    BOOGIETHEBOOG

Answer by BOOGIETHEBOOG at 4:01 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• keep her in the crib so she stays familiar. i only started using the toddler bed because i was pregnant with the next one and couldnt bend over to pick her up out of the crib. she was 18 months or so and adjusted just fine, but with the move a familiar bed could be good.
    You're the mother and know best, go by your natural mother instincts :)
    Ginanne

Answer by Ginanne at 4:05 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• About 2 1/2 for both subjects. Our DD was not talking until she was 3 1/2 so it was hard for her to convey to us that she needed to "go potty". However, she WAS reading at 3 y 8 m. She got too TALL for her crib by 2 1/2. Today at age 12, she is almost 5'11" and 1 year ahead in school.
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 5:01 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My son is 20 months now. My previous 3 we moved straight to a twin bed with rails around 2, which is what we'll be doing with him when he's ready - I want his crib out of his room by Christmas (so we have room to put a train table in there). He already climbs up into his twin bed and will "pretend to go night night" when we're playing. If you're moving, it may be a good time to go ahead and move her into a toddler bed as well - new room, new "big girl" bed.
    As far as potty training, my daughter potty trained earlier but both of my boys were 2 1/2, so we're going to wait until spring when he can run around the house in just his training pants to make things easier. Plus I'm due next week with our 5th child and I don't want him to be stressed about going potty while he's getting used to a new sister.

Answer by missanc at 7:07 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• My kids all moved to a toddler bed or regular bed around 18 months. Well 3 of them, the youngest is still an infant. I started my kids with potty training at 18 months and 9 months. I had 3 in diapers, so at one point I was working on 3 kids. My daughter is 18 months and I am still working on her. For me, it was more about less diapers - they all would go whenever I put them on the toilet, then about getting them to stay completely dry.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:19 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• We put our daughter in a toddler bed when she was about 17/18 months old. We started potty training her at 17 months, but have had no luck with it yet and she will be 23 months on the 13th of July.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 10:03 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I fist put my daughter in her toddler at 18 months old, but that was because she was crawling out of it all the time. My idea is for you to leave the crib up but to also put the toddler bed in her room too. This way when she is not sleeping she can explore her new toddler bed and begin to get use to it. This way it might be so scary for you child when you first lye her down in it and it will be an easier transition.
    StarrRose

Answer by StarrRose at 1:09 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• StarrRose, I've been thinking of doing that. We'd have to buy another mattress but we plan on trying for #2 after she turns two so it wouldn't be a waste to buy another. I figured she could get use to it first while still having the crib for a bit longer. I like hearing how other moms have done it because no one is the same and I get different perspectives. Thank you everyone!
    MommyLee08

Comment by MommyLee08 (original poster) at 11:06 PM on Jul. 7, 2010