How can i get rid of head lice?

Hi My name is jenny I have 2 little girls 6 and 4. They recently got head lice and i can not get rid of it. this is my first time EVER having to deal with this. i have tried lice shampoo, Vinegar, and flea shampoo....I comb through their hair everyday and at night,and every time i am still finding live bugs..UGH this is so frustrating.I feel so bad they cry because their head are starting to hurt from me combing their hair so much and they have bite marks all over their necks...PLEASE HELP ME I AM DESPERATE.....THIS HAS BEEN A NIGHTMARE :( I feel so helpless and it breaks my heart to see them going through this.....I am at the point where i will try ANYTHING so they dont have to go through this anymore.... Thanks Jenny

jealbr

Asked by jealbr at 3:50 AM on Jul. 7, 2010 in Health

• i had a lice problem when i was 6 and the only thing that worked for my parents was cutting my hair to about 3 inches in length and then giving one last treatment with the lice shampoo...you also must wash all your bedding in hot water and tumble dry hot and vacuum all the floors
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 3:54 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• also all cloths need to be washed
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 3:55 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I feel for you,i went through the same thing with my daughter I tried everything. what finally worked was listerine mouthwash vinegar and denorex shampoo, I put each on for 2 hrs with a shower cap then washed with the shampoo I also used a blow dryer on her hair and my hair straightener, theres something about the heat. I washed everything on hot w/ bleach. bought mattress & pillow covers, lysoled everything. you have to constantly repeat the process but it does work. I now use coconut shampoo on her, I read that it repels them, its worked so far. best of luck!
    mOmMyWiFeNuRsE3

Answer by mOmMyWiFeNuRsE3 at 4:12 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Okay, so lice likes clean heads and they love my blood! So here's so
    e things that always worked for my mom. Spray the whole house, wash all the clothes and bed stuff, spray carpet and beds and couches and stuff. Also wrap up all cloth toys in a trash bag and leave them there for a month. It'll be like Christmas when they get them back. Any special toys can be thrown in the wash with the clothes. If lice shampooisnt working. ..use mayo. Leave it on theirhead with a shower cap, rinse after an hour and recomb their hair. Should do the trick.
    Flippindadaisie

Answer by Flippindadaisie at 4:57 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Somehow, we managed to avoid lice (probably the only family on the block. Here are some remedies that I have held on to in case I need them. For prevention, mix 50% olive oil, 25% tea tree oil and 25% rosemary essential oil (you can get this at a health food store or Whole Foods); massage on scalp and leave on for 15-20 minutes. To cure, you can use mayonaise or coconut oil; put on the hair, wait about 30 minutes, and comb out with a flea comb from a pet shop; follow with the prevention spray. You will need to wash bedding, clothes, pillows, etc.
    Trader Joes has a great shampoo and conditioner with tea tree oil and peppermint; these wouldn't hurt

Answer by rkoloms at 5:45 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I can't stress enough how much you have to wash everything in hot water!! EVERYTHING!!! Luckily I have boys so whenever it made the slightest appearance they got shaved and we washed washed washed. It also gave us a reason to clean out the toy closet and many things that were put in "plastic storage" usually didn't make it back in the bedroom and nobody really noticed he he
    The best trick I learned from a veteran lice mom was to dip your comb in vinegar each time you take it out of thier hair. This really does work!!
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 6:23 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Clean, clean and more cleaning!! Also call and get a prescription. That worked for us. Let the doc know wht you have done and tht they still have them. Good luck...

Judmr

Answer by Judmr at 7:42 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• I know what you mean. When my DD was about three she got it from daycare--it was AWFUL! I just did the hair shampoo treatment, combed through it for about 2 hours, washed EVERYTHING, bagged up her stuffed toys & got lice spray for the furniture, car seat & car. Good luck!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 9:34 AM on Jul. 7, 2010

• the one thing that helped for me was get the rid shampoo put it in your hair for like a hour brush your hair with the shampoo in it while it sits so the shampoo gets right into the roots then after a hour or so wash it out then dry it ad comb the left over eggs ad like every one else says wash every thing spray every thing check every ones head put toys in garbage bags any brushess you use throw away and combs good luck
    mad_ct_mom

Answer by mad_ct_mom at 1:55 PM on Jul. 7, 2010

• Aaaah, chill with the pesticides. licemd.com Works for us every time.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 3:19 PM on Jul. 7, 2010